Mcse

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by oskubillos, Jul 10, 2005.

1. oskubillos

oskubillos New Member

Hi Everyone

im trying to get my mcse but i dont know were to start,Online course are good? so i will be able to finish in at less two years o better get to some college and do it that way.if there is any online course wich would you recomend? or college? because i jump online and type mcse courses there will be million thousen of options.which or what would i start with?
    thankx 4 u help

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi, Welcome to CF. :D

Depending on your IT history you might think about Comptia A+ and Network+ certs first. These provide a good foundation for MCSE.
    MCSE is more involved and will require a lot of training material and exams.
    Take a look around the Microsoft part of this forum to see what has been said.
    Good luck with your future certs. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome aboard.

I'm going to try to be as delicate as I can when I say this, but without hands on experience (or another method that I will not mention), getting your MCSE is next to impossible. I thought I was doing good getting my A+, Net+, and MCSA using only books, Transcender software, VMware, and an Action Pack subscription.

Then I started working on the exams from MCSA to MCSE and discovered that while not entirely impossible, real world experiance would be most helpful.

My advice (speaking from experience) would be to get your A+, Net+, and MCSA certs, then get your foot in the door with a company, and then pursue the rest of your MCSE.

I got a job with a large communications company in data support due to my A+, Net+, MCSA cert, and a working knowledge of networks. Now I'm at a point where I've started studying 292 for my MCSA2K3 upgrade.

I'm not trying to scare you or change your mind about getting certified or the IT field overall. I just don't want you to think that without any experience you'll be able to get your MCSE and get a top level job making killer money. In reality, you may have to start out doing something you didn't want to do, but you'll have to look down the road and what you can move into.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with The Geek. I think you can get started just from self study or classroom study but without the actual hands on experience, it would be quite difficult to earn the MCSE, especially in under two years.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I also don't want you to use me as a typical example. I've been working on my MCSE for almost 3 years, however I went through a very bad period where my attitude was "what's the point of all this?". At that time the IT market was flooded with certified people but the jobs just weren't there, and those that were certified had already demonstrated they didn't know what they were doing because they braindumped.

I believe that's why you now see employers wanting you to have your MCSE just for a simple help desk job.

But don't give up hope. I'm an example of trying to get into IT for over 3 years, and having door after door slammed in my face. I finally got on where I am now because in addition to being certified, I had to prove to them I knew what I was doing.

Don't give up hope. You can get into IT. :D

Hmmm......I see another career change as a motivational speaker.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+