MCSE? Still worth it?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Gareth.Harle, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Gareth.Harle

Gareth.Harle Bit Poster

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm just about to get back into study now that my work place is becoming a Microsoft IT Academy in September. I'm and MCSA on Server 2003 and is it really worth going for the MCSE or should I transfer over to the Server 2008 stuff and work towards those higher certifications instead. We use 2003 in our environment right now but I may be looking to move us over to 2008 over the coming 12 months due to some major rework needed.

Think I already know the answer but any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Gareth

Certifications: MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EST
    WIP: Not sure yet
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, since you're already a MCSA and because you still have 12 months before the upgrades. I would say finish off your MCSE then do the upgrades.

I don't know if you're going to stay at your place of work (partly due to this, BSF in your area), but if you don't alot of companies are still using 2003 and will continue to for a good few years to come.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. DublinJoe

DublinJoe New Member

If you are going to be moving to Server 2008 R2 over the next 12 months, you will be doing a lot of research into it. It would be far more useful to combine research & study & do the 2008 exams instead.

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ken is right.

A lot of employers still aren't familiar with the MCITP certification, unable to distinguish the difference between an MCITP: EST and an MCITP: EA. As we know the difference between the two is substantial.

If you do a search on a jobsite you will find a lot more results for MCSE than MCITP (for now).

Lastly I personally wouldn't be happy never gaining my MCSE. It could potentially be the last time Microsoft call you a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. For years its been the premier MS cert so I couldn't not get this first. That plus when I do get my MCSE its only 2 exams to make me a MCITP: EA :D

Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yes it is.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Gareth.Harle

Gareth.Harle Bit Poster

Thanks guys that has given me a good starting point. Cheers :)

Certifications: MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EST
    WIP: Not sure yet