MCSE Server 2003 Route

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by andy768, Apr 12, 2007.

1. andy768

andy768 Bit Poster

Hi guys,
    I have just passed 70-282, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best route of exams to take for the MCSE Server 2003? My prior knowledge is basically 70-282 and first 2 semesters of CCNA.
    Thanks very much

Certifications: BSc, MCP, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: A+, Network+, CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well i would start off with the client exam then go onto the core exams with 290 first... btw you now have more client exam choices so you can do 70-270 for Win XP or 70-620 for Vista...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, I would recommend the 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, then 70-284 (exchange if you have experience with it), if not then get the MCDST.

The microsoft page isn't up to date, however on one of the MS webcasts they did say that you can use the 70-620 as an elective, whether they have changed it to be a core client exam, I don't know. According to the MS page, the 70-282 isn't an elective so you'll have to do the MCSA route from scratch (but e-mail the MCP helpdesk just to confirm this).

I don't know your IT experience, but please be aware that MS states: "MCSA candidates should have 6–12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems."

Apart from that, good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. andy768

andy768 Bit Poster

This may be a stupid question but I have noticed today for the first time that there is overlap between the requirements for the MCSE and MCSA. Does that mean should you pass the exams (e.g 70-290), you can use them to count towards both certifications?

Certifications: BSc, MCP, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: A+, Network+, CCNA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, most of the exams overlap. Most people go for the MCSA, then take the remaining tests required to become an MCSE.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well this post by Ken is right on the money - JMHO

Basically if you are new to this then MCSA and then MCSE - otheriwse it is the upgrade track of 70-292 and the 70-296..which I hope to do myself by August....

BTW - I am hoping to do my 70-292 within two weeks hopefully...thats if work lets up abit :blink

I have only just got back on track the last two days for this exam and also keeping the content up at my own site.

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The 70-292 (MCSA upgrade) was a good and fair exam, as far as I can remember. I don't know if you've taken any 2k3 exam already, but if you haven't, expect more simulations than the 2k route. Apart from that good luck with your upgrades :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security