MCSE Self-Study Possible?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i just got back from the training providers... MCSA will set me back 300 quid (GB) for all three courses that includes sybex books! 8) 8) yeah i know dirt cheap but im only paying 1/4 the rest my work will pay for! They start on 26th sept twice a week for 3hours...

Should i get over these exam (the two server beasts) how possible is it to gain the MCSE through self-study? I would need to do:

70-293
    70-294
    70-297/70-298
    Elective (Which comptia certs can i use?)

I may have to fund these so im opting to go self-study to save but only if its possible....

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Zimbo,

Self study is entirely possible to gain the MCSE. lots of people do it that way. As you are already finding out with your A+ training it is not really that hard to do self study, you simply need to have the motivation to do it.

As regards going all the way for the MCSE you will need lots of experience with the products and it will take you longer than going through a training provider but it is completely achieveable.

8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i noticed that too thanks! :biggrin has anyone attempted the exams self-studying? (the ones ill have to)

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As I recall, Bluerinse got his MCSE through self study so obviously it's possible. As has been mentioned, it requires a lot of hard work and dicipline and hands on experience with Windows computers and networks is a must.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

that i totally agree.. im going to be using hopefully a lab at home and at work im going to try learn as much as i can... but it is totally possible for someone new to server 2003 to make it?

thanks again for looking... :biggrin

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Possible, yes of course it is. Can I predict in advance how you'll do? Not a chance. No one can guarantee you success. However, if you don't try, you'll never know. If it's what you really want to do then you'll have to take your chances and make the attempt. That's the best I can offer you. Good luck.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I certainly got my 70-215 (Windows 2000 Server) exam first time, with no prior knowledge or experience of servers. Can be done my friend :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Get mine through self study, but I found it took a lot of self control and sacrifice from the family. When the kids are running around wanting your attension and you need to study, need I say more.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:rolleyes: is this in the sense i have no chance in passing the server exams or as in you cant tell how ill do?

BTW does anyone know a book on how to get a gentle introduction to server?

@AJ thankfully mate no kids im a kid still (20 actually) could end up with other ppl wanting attention thou! :biggrin

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Be careful what you do with those other ppl, or you might just end up with kids! :biggrin :oops:

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry...I should have been clearer. I was trying to say that I don't have a crystal ball and I can't see into the future, read minds, or guarantee that you or anyone else will pass an exam. Of course you have a chance at passing with self-study...but no one here can promise that you'll do well. That's entirely up to you. We'll be glad to help as we can but you are the one who has to study and learn. :)

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Zimbo,

My self plan is A+, N+ and then MCSE. I do believe that you can do it self study. Perhaps self study sounds a bit harsh because you have your books, video training (?) and of course all your pal's on the best IT forum in cyberspace. :iluvcf

I hope that I will soon have a job in IT and will "rocket" on. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not quite true trip, as I did make the mistake of parting with $9500AU and so I got the MOC books which lack in-depth information. I also did all the courses for each MCP. They were equally a waste of time.

The Microsoft MOCs (Microsoft Official Curriculum) books do not correlate with the respective exam. They only cover the basics. It is possible to pass the exams with only the MOCs but you would have to be a lot smarter than me to do it especially for the more complex exams like 70-216. So, the reality is that I did have to self study a lot in order to pass the exams. The courses are more like a brief overview, very fast paced and a difficult learning environment.

I remember spending the 5 days on ISA, when I left I didn't even understand the difference between the three types of clients i.e. Firewall, Secure NAT and Web Proxy :oops: I was lost after the first hour! It happens and there isn't the necessary time to dig down because you don't want to hold up the class.

For example I paid for 1 week ISA course with instructor. Information retained = zilch - Had I taken the exam I would have failed dismally

Self studied ISA for 1 year
    Information retained about 80% - Took exam and passed.

This is the reality.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

everything is possible.
    all the certs that you see in my sig, except some of the mcp nt4 stuff, i have achieved through self-study. but it required time (which was hard to find between work and social life), much dedication and motivation, money, and a lot of hands on experience (which i was lucky to get at work).
    also, choose your exams well. a lot of exams can be used as credit for more than one cert. so you can minimize the number of exams whilst maximizing the number of certs.

16. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I have to agree with Pete on this one. :oops:

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sandy you been here for a while.... any pointers? im clueless to server but feel i can get my MCSA and why not MCSE!

anyone... im looking for a book that will intro me to server 2003 doesnt have to be a cert book ....

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

oh yeah!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

20. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

so it's okay for senior moderators to spam, while new members get banned?