MCSE Questions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ridge racer, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

hello all,

im new here as you may of guessed... iv been working on my pcs since the age of 7 im now 21 and have a pretty good understanding of pc's both software and hardware i build my own i set them up extensively etc.

now... iv been looking into advent computer training, i went through the entire thing up to the point of sending off to see if i can get a CDL, now iv changed numbers so my advisor can't keep calling me (not on purpose just happened and i will call him back if and when iv made my mind up) trying to get me to join, he has seemed quite ok with it all but i do get a feeling of the saleman thing going on not just an "advisor"

anyway what should i do here? am i doing the right thing? iv currently done a BTEC national ICT diploma which i pretty much found was a waste of time... iv rescently come out of working in a local pc shop which i was with for around just under a year... im abit stuck now and unsure what todo as all the other jobs i apply for i don't hear anything back as im not that qualified i suppose? iv gone for the experience side but that doesn't seem to have paid off so im abit stuck now... MCSE does seem the best thing for me but close to 5 grand is alot to pay and im not 100% sure about advent

as for ideal jobs definetly want to go into something in the repairs side of things.. im looking for hardware side really but i understand iv got todo software in it too as regards to pc repairs etc

what would be best for me any advise welcome

thanks

2. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Given your experience, why not start with A+ and N+? They are more likely to fill the gap an employer wanting certs would need right now to get you a job. MCSE is way down the line, and without experience, an employer isn't going to give you an MCSE-equiv job just because you have the cert.

Once you're back in work, studying for an MCSE (if relevant to what you're doing) may be the way to go.

As for Advent, I've no comment as I haven't any experience of them. But generally speaking, training providers are bigger on promises than on actual delivery, so research well before signing any contract.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You have stated that you've worked with PC's for quite a while now, but have you actually worked in a large domain environment yet? If not, then I would advise against doing the MCSE until you do gain that type experience. Building/supporting PC's, either stand alone or in a workgroup environment is alot different than working in a domain environment.

I would recommend doing the MCDST up to, maybe, the MCSA. But for starters I would definiately do the A+ & Network+ as they will give a very good base on which to build on. Remember professional certification is different from the academic quals that you have done already (eg. Edexcel/Btec) and alot harder than User certs (eg. ECDL/ICDL/CDL).

"MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems." - MS

"MCSA candidates should have 6 to 12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems." - MS

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As MacAllen said, people with MCSA's and MCSE's who don't have the actual experience of working in a large domain environment are not really employable.

If anyone came for a job the place where myself and Ken (wagnerk) worked with an MCSE (or an MCSA) but without a minimum of two years experience working on servers then I'd chuck the CV / Application straight in the bin.

As advised by Ken, it would be a much better idea to start with entry level certifications that actually match the experience you already have. They are also good becuase both the (A+ & N+) or the (MCDST) can be used as electives for the MCSA.

They are also far easier than some of the MCP's you will have to pass in order to gain an MCSA or E. MCP's such as the 70-290 and the 70-291 really require as much hands on experience of the subject matter as possible. If you go into it without that background you would be wasting your own time and also a potential employers. In my opinion anyway. :)

Good luck with whatever course of action you decide on.

p.s. There is some great material and information on this forum about going down the self study route for certifications. Save yourself 5k of debt mate and have a good read on here before you sign on any dotted lines ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

What he said.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. BosonMichael

Even more importantly... I'd recommend self-study.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

thanks for the replys and welcomes! much appreshiated

as for whats been said, i fully agree, thing is... how much is the A+ and network + im assuming these are the CompTIA certs??

how much do these cost as apposed with 5 grands worth of MCSE? what sort of jobs would this open up to me?

many thanks!!

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to go for the A+ and Network+ before even thinking about the MCSE to be honest mate.

In regard to jobs you are probably looking at a helpdesk or ‘junior IT support ’ style job to get some industry experience. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. BosonMichael

The MCSE is not designed for entry-level techs, and it won't magically get you a better IT job. Even if you got the MCSE certification, a company won't hire you for more advanced work without you first having a few years of real-world IT experience. That's why we suggest going with the A+ and Network+, as they are geared towards entry-level and relatively new techs. Getting those certifications will certainly give you an advantage over any non-experienced and non-certified techs competing for the same job.

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Like I said in my post, if you turned up for a job at my place with an MCSE and no actual real world experience of having worked in a large network environment, your CV / Application would go in the bin.

There are no place for paper MCSE's anywhere as far as I am concerned.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  12. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

thanks for the input guys, wheres the best place to go to (preferably cheapest) for the A+ & Network + certs? (in the uk)

cheers

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Self study is the cheapest way to go.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

any example companys? cheers guys

15. BosonMichael

Umm... your local bookstore? :D

16. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Or a little search on the net for Sybex Ebooks??!!

Certifications: N+
    WIP: CCNA
  17. BosonMichael

Sure... if you want to steal food directly from my kids' mouths... :dry

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Now now boys, you know better than to condone illegal activities here

sort it out and go spend £20 :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Also, it's not as easy to read an Ebook when you are having a shite. :)

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am doing A+ at the mo self study all you need is the Mike Meyers all in exam guide 6th edition and PC Technician street smarts by James piles and an old pc if you can get one.

I have all that it cost 80 quid you dont need a training provider who will rip you off and you probably wont learn aswell if you do some course.

80 quid versus 5k if you've 5k get a car for £4920 and use the rest for the books and pc :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?