MCSE Fast Track

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JonnieHACK, Oct 6, 2008.

1. JonnieHACK

JonnieHACK New Member

Hello.

Newbie.

I've worked in IT for a few years but am getting nowhere with it. Had two Technician jobs so far, first for 4 years, was poorl paid and no training offered so I left. Second (current) is a bit better paid, but still poorly paid and again, no training offered (it was promised but never delivered, long story)

Does anyone have any advice on fast tracking some training. Its becoming painfully apparent that without an MCSE or many other exams I've got no chance of getting myself a better job. And trust me, I've got no embarrasment in admitting its getting quite desperate.

I'm very very unhappy in my current role, and with my current wage and want to fast track at least an MCSE so I can get a foot in the door in another company where, hopefully, I can take more time with further training as my wages wont be as bad as what they are now.

Please help. :cry:

Certifications: 70-620, HNC, GNVQ ADV, NVQ3, NVQ2
    WIP: MCSA/E
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hate to say this, but MCSE, CCNA, and all the other certs are not magical letters that increase your pay and kudos overnight.

The MCSE for a decent experienced IT tech would take a year, maybe longer, thats for someone whos working in a relevant job and prepared to go through the books and exams and spend there life dedicated to it.

A quick (or "accelerated") course isnt really the answer either, there are no shortcuts.

Not knowing what your role is at the moment, you should probably start from the bottom up when it comes to certification, if you are in a support role go for MCDST and A+/Network+, or if you are in a junior net admin or 2nd line role go for MCSA, if you are designing networks or involved heavily in the implementation and overall management then MCSE will be useful.

There is nothing wrong with learning a level above what role you are doing now, if you are in a role with possible progression make them aware you are studying for whichever cert it is, and see if any skills (such as exchange/sql/cisco/so on) are useful to them, and if they would be willing to give you more responsibilities, then after a few months with your cert and experience you will be bringing more bargaining chips to the table regarding raises or promotions.

Just like to say you get out of this life what you put into it, very little point in complaining about a job role.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think kevicho hit the nail on the head - get certs that follow your job role so your certs reflect this! And one more thing dont quit your job before landing another role! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Frankly, you won't have to wait until you achieve an MCSE (which will take years if you do it honestly) before you start advancing in your career. Remember, the MCSE is composed of numerous exams. If administering Windows domains at the enterprise level is really what you want to do (there are lots and lots of Microsoft certs, depending on your area of interests and skills), then pick one certification and start studying for it. In the meantime, you're still working in the IT field and gaining experience. Education plus experience usually add up to advancement eventually, but you'll have to take it one step at a time. Don't depend on an employer to fulfill your educational needs. Start taking control of achieving your own goals. This forum is here to help. Where would you like to start?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice already provided - I agree 100%! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. JonnieHACK

JonnieHACK New Member

Cheers for the advice! :thumbleft

If this helps:

1st role - On site support technician for a university - 3-4 years
    Current Role - Field Support Engineer (mainly hardware warranty repairs)

I'm currently studying for my 70-620. Was going to take a server based exam next (unsure which way to go)

Only reason I suggested a "fast track" is becasue all the roles available in my area, are requesteing MCSE's even for 17k a year jobs, and I'm applying with above experience and a decently written CV but never hearing anything back and al i'm getting from agencies are "you're technical skills arent as high as what is required for an interview"

Yes, I guess I am trying to run before I can walk, and yes I know there is no way to inject knowledge without doing it honestly. I just want to make that next step from basic first line/hardware / break-fix stuff to entry level second line, but am getting no where, it seems, because of me not having and MS exams under my belt. kinda catch 22

Certifications: 70-620, HNC, GNVQ ADV, NVQ3, NVQ2
    WIP: MCSA/E