MCSE & CCNA in India

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by techieguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. techieguy

techieguy New Member

Hey guys, I will be traveling to India from NZ in January 2009. I have found an institute in New Delhi called Rooman Technologies. I will be studying for MCSE - Messaging and CCNA. MCSE is 3 months long @ 4hrs/day and CCNA is 42 days long @ 2hrs/day. Currently I am employed at a big electronics store that has branches in Australia and NZ (Dick Smith Electronics). I am a pro with computer hardware and software. I know Windows XP, Vista, Win 98 like anything. Networking is my favourite subject. I Look after a linux box running squid and acting as a firewall.

My question is that, is my current level of knowledge going to help me with MCSE and CCNA? I have never studied active directory or IIS or even Microsoft exchange. How easy is it going to be for me to understand MCSE material? Is it pretty much Win XP stuff but with extra security material in server 2003? Is 90 day boot camp enough for MCSE?

PS - Travelling to India because it's going to save me over $5000 after paying for plane ticket, exam fees etc....costs $50/exam in India for MCSE, wheras it costs $205/exam in NZ for MCSE.

Also need your advice on this. Am I better off to do MCSE 2003 rather than MCITP? I say this because when I look at job availability for System admin, everyone mentions MCSE 2003. I guess I can always upgrade to MCITP later or should I do MCITP?

The MCSE 2003 review thread gave me very helpful tips so thanks to the thread OP.

Thanks

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I'll leave it to others to warn you of the dangers of getting too far ahead of yourself with these certs. I think you are going to get warned not to do them all up front.

One thing I noticed when I signed up for a Microsoft test in the UK though, is that there is a a big red warning that says that only Indian passport holders can now sit their tests in India. So your plan is very likely to go a little wrong in that regard.

If you are handy with the Linux command line, and understand the general principles of networking, I would say that the CCNA should hold no terrors for you.

I think you are in danger of overreaching yourself on the MS front though, and might do more harm than good to your career chances if you do pass all those certs without ever having to use the accompanying skills in the real world first.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

What he said !

Plus - if you're worried about saving the money why not self-study as most people here would recommend ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Hi this aint relevant but: I'm also from NZ. :D

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  5. techieguy

techieguy New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I have dual citizenship of both NZ and India so taking exam in India is not a problem. I am not going to do MCSE and CCNA together. I will finish MCSE first then move on to CCNA. I understand your real world concept but the problem is no one is willing to employ you unless you have those certs even as a trainee (atleast in NZ). I will be installing win server 2003 on my laptop (MSDN) and practise when I get back home from the institute + practise in the institute itself. I too hate the whole brain dumps concept and believe in hands on training. But ultimatley I want to know, how easy will I find MCSE knowing XP very well?

6. techieguy

techieguy New Member

I am a type of person that can only study in classroom envionrment.

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I very much doubt that...

I much prefer classroom style learning, but even I'm happy with studying on my own. I just require silence so I can concentrate and absorb information.

Give it a shot sometime! It may save you money and hassle in the long run :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. techieguy

techieguy New Member

I did. Started with 270 paper (Win XP). Worked great for 2 days. Then "meh I will study tommorow and so on....." :rolleyes:

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im feeling a little mischievous today, so i will respond with a cheeky answer which is...

Good luck with your future studies whatever you decide

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. Qs

Heh.

It's true, really.

Even in a classroom environment there are numerous occasions where you'll be expected to read through books and take notes on your own (it's called homework :p)

It's entirely up to your own sense of commitment and how much you want to put in.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

True, but when you are learning in a classroom environment doing your 'homework' is structured. You are told where you need to be at for the next lesson, and if you're not there then you fall behind. 8)

12. Qs

I see what you mean Simon but the point still remains - in whatever environment, self-study, classroom or real-world; there will be points at which you will be expected to achieve on your own. There isn't a 100% spoon fed version (and why should there be!) and therefore having the skills in order to study and absorb information is vital.
    • If you don't wish to put in the work through self-study you don't progress.
    • If you don't wish to put in the work in class you don't progress.
    • Moreover, if you don't wish to put in the work in a real-world job environment then this has far more severe consequences when you don't progress.

Structured or not - you still need to learn the material and be able to apply the skills learnt in order to pass the exam/s, achieve the relevant certification/s and progress in your field.

Qs

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

The one thing i say that self study provides, and that is essential in the workplace is to work on your own initiative, and be quick to learn things for yourself.

Also maybe instead of thinking it as study time, think of it as playtime where you get to learn new things and play with these new pearls of wisdom.

Its all in the mind, if you think you cant do something, your most probably right - Abraham Lincoln (I think)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  14. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

You will find that there is a hell of a lot of material to get through. You will probably even be surprised at how much XP stuff you have to learn along the way.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  15. vikasarora

vikasarora New Member

I did lot of research in New Delhi , relating to MCSE study and i found that New Horizon Institute is much better than all institute in India, I compared it with HCLCDC , Karrox , Jetking & other small institute even "New Horizon " institute use to have corporate Faculty only . You can visit this url which is ***Removed link***. I will suggest you to jion Lodhi Road institute .

16. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

MCITP is just an upgrade from server 2003(MCSE) to server 2008. With only MCITP you dont have grounded knowledge on administering servers, of course merely looking at MCITP material and that of materials for MCSE will tell you that. So if you are really to to do major time on administering system you have to study MCSE first, then when the need be simply upgrade to MCITP... Best wishes

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  17. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I don't mean to be a cynic here, but as this is your first post, you don't happen to be affiliated to them by any chance? :rolleyes:

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard