MCSE books

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by eeps24, May 2, 2005.

1. eeps24

eeps24 Bit Poster

what does everyone recommend for the MCSE books? .... also i understand if you have the A+ and net+ it subs for a exam for the MCSA...how does that work...do you have to call microsoft to let them know you have it? or do they know bylooking you up?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi.
    You need to pass an MCP exam to get your MCP ID. Then logon to the CompTIA site and register your MCP ID. All the relevant info will be passed to Microsoft. Check out the Microsoft learning site for more info.
    Microsoft Press books are always good. But I've been using the Prep Logic ones for my MCSD. They are heavy on worked examples which is great, unless you don't have the product in question...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, and 'MCSE in a nutshell' is the bible.

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Got to go with Microsoft press books on this one. I bought the Microsoft Training kit which comprises of the core exam books and I'm pretty happy with it. I would probably beef up your knowledge with something like an exam cram book due to the MCSE exams being a premium level cert.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Microsoft exam = Microsoft Press.
    Can't go wrong.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, that's not always true. I hear the latest MS Press books are head and shoulders above previous publications. Traditionally, MS Press doesn't provide a tremendous amount of detail in their cert books relative to the actual test. Go figure.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah. I don't usually bother with their 'practice exams' as they rarely seem to bear any reseblance to the real thing. I guess they're not going to give you the answers to their own exams.
    It will be interesting to see how they support the new simulated examinations.

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have three core sets, the Que ones, the Sybex ones and the MS ones, by far i prefur the Sybex and Que, and probably the sybex out of those two, but its been a while since i picked up the Que ones and had a look through them

MSPress != the best, bear that in mind always

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. michael78

I am a big fan of Sybex books in general as I like their layout and are pretty easy to read. Not a big fan of the Que books I'm currently reading through their 70-270 exam prep book and it's not the easiest book to follow too many tables in my opinion. Looking throught the MS books they are pretty easy to follow but each person is different and likes different books so it's all down to choice...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  10. eeps24

eeps24 Bit Poster

thanks everyone for your input..........the mcp exam , which exam # is that? Exam 70–270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows® XP Professional?

also what other books are out there, all i know of is mcse, sybex and someone mentioned Que , never heard of them...any others?

11. michael78

eeps there are loads of books that cover each exam for the MCSE from different companies. The one's you mentioned are probably the best known publishers of the lot. Look on Amazon.co.uk for MCSE books.

12. eeps24

eeps24 Bit Poster

thanks for the input...........also how about syngress,,,, has anyone used thier books before?

13. michael78

syngress are a big publishing company as well. A rule of thumb is that you have to research each book on it's merit's. I'm personally a big fan of Sybex books but some of them have had really bad writeup's on certain subjects so I look for an alternative that's had good feedback. Look on Amazon.com website as they usually have reader reviews on most books more than Amazon UK's website. For your MCSE you will need to source your books from different publishers. Sybex, Que and Microsoft sell kit's that cover the Core exams so you might be better off looking at them for starters. I have the Microsoft one but have heard the Sybex kit is also good.

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I found in my experiance syngress do some good reference books, but there cert books just didnt do it for me, when you have to read that much in a given time frame it just didnt keep me focused that well, ofcourse thats down to the individual really

there reference books for thingsl ike ethereal, nessus, ISA2k4 served me much better than thier cert books

just my 2c

ps: glad you found you way over here eeps, hope we can help

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0