mcse and struggling

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by smiffsp, Jul 25, 2006.

1. smiffsp

smiffsp New Member

hi everyone

i have just started a MCSE course and im finding it hard to learn and remember much.

i have used computers for a few years but only at a basic level.

i have completed all the disks provided but when it comes to practising tests, the questions seem to go over my head a little

i think i need some study tips

many thanks :(

WIP: mcse
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF!8)

What exactly you struggling with exam wise? Is this your first certifcation?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. smiffsp

smiffsp New Member

the questions are long winded and although i eventually understand them alot of the answers all seem possible.

i thought this course would be more practical

i really need to do more studying:rolleyes:

this is my first course.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First of all what questions are you using to test yourself?

Have you considered maybe something easier before MCSE? Are you new to IT?

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi, and welcome. When you say *you have tried all the discs* i take it you are with a training provider? If so, have you contacted them about your concerns?
    If you have not got a time scale/money deadline i would suggest reviewing the A+ material; you don't have to take the exams, but it will give you a good foundation for MCSE.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. smiffsp

smiffsp New Member

hi

im using itskills as my provider

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think you should look at the A+ from Comptia... then Network+ - yes both are a step backwards but you more likely lacking the knowledge to do the harder exams.

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The one thing that sticks out at me in your post is the lack of hands on with the material you are studying. You need to set up a lab with some servers and workstations so you can do everything in the books. That's how you come to understand what works and what doesn't work. Just reading books, watching videos, and doing practice exams is not enough for the vast majority of people, myself included, to truly understand what they are studying at the MCSE level.

I have a few certs and I have put in more time on the practical side of studying, setting up labs and experiments and then troubleshooting them until I understood what was going on inside them, than I ever have in reading and watching videos. I learned far more with my hands on work too. You must have a balance of hands on and theoretical to understand the material.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well personally, like the others have said, I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into an MCSE as your first cert either. If you are struggling now, you will be really struggling when the going gets tough and rest assured, it will get much tougher. Microsoft do not give away their certs like sweets :rolleyes:

From the Microsoft site..

I couldn't find the relevant one for Server 2003 but it will say much the same.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)