MCSE and specializations

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by DC Pr0Mo, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Just need something cleared up for me please, Having just passed my 70-270 :D, I am looking at getting MCSA certified within the not to distant future (290 hopefully for end of the month), at work I currently use and administrate WinXp, Server 2k3, ISA 2004, And Exchange 2003. I cant see us upgrading to exchange 2007 or ISA 2006 any time shortly. So it got me thinking about specializing my MSCA to what I use at work.

Am I right in saying that If i was to sit and pass the 290 and 291 as well as

Exam 70-284 - Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

Exam 70-350 - Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004​

I would then be MCSA, MCSA Messaging, MCSA Security certified, Or would i just be MCSA Messaging, MCSA Security certified. I have had a look here MCSA Information and am pretty sure I would be certified an all three, it just if that was not the case i may look at changing my learning path. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Title of Thread should be MCSA and specializations

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

284 states: Note This exam can count toward both the MCSA elective requirement and an MCSA: Messaging Specialization requirement.
    350 states: Note This exam can count toward both the MCSA elective requirement and an MCSA: Security Specialization requirement.

However to become MCSA: Security, you need to do 2 electives as shown from the website:

Exams on security: Choose two

Exam 70-299 - Implementing and Administering Security in a Windows Server 2003 Network
    Exam 70-350 - Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004
    Exam 70-351 - TS: Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006, Configuring
    Comptia Security+ - Specific third-party (CompTIA) certifications

So if you were to take 290, 291 and 284, you would be MCSA and MCSA: Messaging but you would need to chose another of those above along with the 350 to become MCSA: Security..

I'm personally aiming to do 299 & CompTIA Security+ as I do nothing with ISA.
    (Also there's lots of the word security in the cert names!:biggrin)

PS. Grats with passing 270!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)