MCSE Advice

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by betabox, Jan 11, 2007.

1. betabox

betabox New Member

I've really just started looking for this qualification and I was wondering a few questions.

1) How many courses are involved in this qualification?

2) Any there any recommended courses taking before hand in order to get this qualification.

3) What sort of timeframe is involved in taking this? (Ideally I would be working towards this 3 days a week.)

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

1. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx this will tell you what makes up the MCSE certification.

2. There are two ways - either through self-study, which is teaching yourself or through a training provider the first one being much much cheaper

3. Time frame really depends on your experience and computer and network knowledge. Can you tell us more on this? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Betabox, what is your reasoning behind wanting an MCSE cert?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. betabox

betabox New Member

Its hard to say what I know and don't.

The main things I can do with pcs are:

- Configure home networking equipment.

- Installing individual components into computers.

- General Windows XP maintenance such as formating hard drives, partitioning etc.

The reason why I would like to this is so I can work as Network Administrator either for the company I currently am with or another.

I think I will probably be doing this with N.I.T.L.C. as i've heard good for remote learning

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

all i can say is make sure you do your research on your training company you have mentioned. And to be honest i think you should start from something a little simpler like A+ - because you not going to become a Network Administrator overnight... like all of us here you will start with step one on the ladder in 1st line support! :biggrin and making coffee for senior work members! - a perk! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

In which case I would lower my sights a tad and go for CompTIA A+, the Net+, the MCP on XP, then MCSA.

From there, if you are still wanting the MCSE, then it is a straight forward path.

If you follow my suggestion you will be building on your existing knowledge and not trying to run before you have learnt how to walk - so to speak.

8. betabox

betabox New Member

the training course ive had a look at has had some positive reviews including some from this forum.

The course does include A+, this seems to be a very good stepping stone.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I noticed that the NITLC have revised their courses and also you get three years of tutor support, this used to be two.

Best of luck mate but you HAVE to put the hours in if you want to pass all of the exams. Handing over the cash is the easy part! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The A+ is the first step to becoming a computer tech. From there, the world is your oyster.

Yes, that training provider has been used by other members here. Though the staff try and keep a neutral stance as far as recommendations are concerned - we certainly do not want to be biased one way or another that is not what this forum is all about. Also bear in mind that a lot of the rants here are from people that didn't do their homework properly. They embarked on a course which as is often the case, turned out to be harder and more difficult than they expected (read told by a salesman).

There is no such thing as a free ride into IT. If you really really want to succeed in this industry, you must have a passion for IT and be prepared to study the changes forever. It is a very competitive market and you cannot believe all the rubbish you hear on TV and in adverts about IT careers, high salaries, interesting jobs etc. Most of that is bunk!