MCSE 2k3 exam order

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by itdaddy, Aug 7, 2006.

1. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

hey gurus,

what order should an MCSE 2003er take his/her exams
    i am taking 70-270 this 1 sep 2006...

but what is a good order?
    can i take 2 in a row? which ones can i do that with
    or just one at a time?

thanks
    going for messageing
    might take 70-284 and 285 one afterthe other?
    what you all think?:blink

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok try do it more or something like this... 270,290,291,293,294,297/298 and then your electives/specializations

1 by 1... those exchange exams are apparently very tough.... how many hours a day you doing to be studying?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Unless you wrote the exams I would only take one at a time. MCSE exams aren't easy and take a while until your ready to sit the exams.

I personally think the 70-270 is the best exam to start with and most people seem to go down that route first. After that I would go 70-290 then 70-291 and do an elective to get your MCSA (For an elective I'm using my MCDST or CompTIA exams). Concentrate on these exams first then plan stage two in getting your MCSE after your MCSA. As I see it I'm halfway through my MCSA and do some of the MCSE specific exams is just far too long away to set in stone.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Glad I stumbled upon this, I am contemplating studying for MCSE 2k3 and must say, was a bit confused as to which route to take.

I enjoy a challenge and wouldnt necessarily want to do the easiest exams as i dont think i would benefit from this.

Im contemplating the Exchange exams because that is always very handy to have.

Any help would be great :biggrin

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if i REALLY had to do the exchange exams... i would get MCSA/MCSE first then look at the exchange exams... you would have a much better picture of the *complete puzzle*

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

And remember......

There's the real world answer, and the M$ answer.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. and

and Bit Poster

i actually sat 290 first since they told me i needed to have done the server course for 270.

i'd probably only recommend doing that if you already have experience with 2003 server. it was a bit of a tough introduction to ms exams for me.

i only revised from the book for 2273 for that one :eek: ..luckily scraped through with 700.

Certifications: MCSE 2003
    WIP: MCSD
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

TO Be Honest there isn't really a right or wrong answer to what order to do the exams in or to what exams to take. It's really a case of what you want out of the exams to what order or what exams you sit.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

yeah, but i am taking this order

70-270 very practical usage

70-284 need to know now how to manage and design security
    70-285

the rest well i think i understand basics pretty good

70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

I have CBT nuggets MCSE series
    and Trainsignal hands on MCSE series with exchange
    both are great. trainsignal is more handson and CBT nuggets
    is more exam. and then i have ******* exams (okay)
    but if i like MeasureUP or Transcender, might go that route

plus i try to apply all i learn; some stuff you just dont use daily
    kind of like Alegebra I and II ; great math but you just dont use it daily! sucks!

hope CCNA and CCNP are diffferent

cheers mates!

itdaddy:oops: :eek:

Mod edit (Z): Removed braindump name

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ITdaddy i removed that name you mentioned. Im not sure if you are fully aware of what those questions are. They are called braindumps. What happens is someone goes and does the exam and writes down the questions and so then they go prepare a document which is the ACTUAL exam and you pay for it and study that.All sounds good right?

Well NO!:biggrin Braindumps are illegal and is cheating. Here at CF we dont enjoy braindumpers nor braindumping. You can carry on and get all your certs using those braindumps but in the end its you who will suffer because you basiclly cheated and when it comes to looking after a real network you might get *busted* because you not a true MCSE. Use legal material like your training videos and get some books because those videos in my opinion will not preprare you for MCSE exams enough. Then if you looking for questions use transcenders and if money is tight look for legal free ones on the net - also a series called exam cram2 make practice question books for MCSE exams. Also if a cert provider (Microsoft in this case) finds out you use braindumps they will take away all your certs and stop you from ever doing a exam again!

If something isnt clear mate PM me! :slidedrin :thumbleft

ps guys lets not blab on now about braindumps - case closed here :biggrin