MCSE 2003 or MCITP:EA?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Afroninja, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Afroninja

Afroninja Bit Poster

Hi all

As per the title really. Ive put off doing these exams for far too long. At this stage is it worth doing the 2003 mcse and then upgrading to the newer certs or just forgetting about 2003 completely?

2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

The MCSE cert will be around for some time. It's still better known than the MCITP. If you do the MCSE and upgrade to MCITP, you'll be able to place both certification titles on your CV, but it's a little more work to go through than if you jumped directly to the MCITP.

But just remember the recommendations, such as having a year or two of experience before attempting these certs...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Afroninja

Afroninja Bit Poster

Thanks, ill do it that way round.

I have tried in the past, just cant get through the books :)

4. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Am I right in thinking that the 2003 exams don't expire in the same way as the newer style? The potential benefit being that they would stay on your transcript after the technology has expired? MCSE for life?

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

That's what they say. Even those exams which have retirered, still show up in the online transcript, but under a heading of "retired". The others will probably remain the same. If you really want to have proof of each certificate/exam, then print out the cert or order it. That would be the best proof you can have regarding having achieved X, Y or Z.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'd do the MCSE first... I thought about skipping it and going straight for the MCITP but then the chaps over here convinced me other wise and they were right, I'd regret it if I don't do it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Afroninja

Afroninja Bit Poster

It certainly makes sense. Having the two certifications covers all bases.

Are the Microsoft books the ones to go for?

8. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Yes, I'd always recommend the MSPress books. Make sure you get the latest edition, there are some second editions in the 2003 series.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  9. TheTrainingGuy

TheTrainingGuy New Member

Depends on the reason why you want to get certified and your current level of experience and where your experience lies.

It's not a "one size fits all" study path. Pick up the skills and acrediations that will help you achieve your goals fastest.