MCSDT - How quickly can I do it?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by ukspeedster, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hi all,
    I just started my new job (first one!) a week and a bit ago and I was wondering, whether I should take the MCDST exams, or go straight on to the 70-270 (Windows XP) exam?

My role will include desktop support based on MS products and will eventually (I hope) progress to a systems engineer. Hence, my aim is to achieve the MCSE within a reasonable period of time as my knowledge of systems/servers builds.

Would you people suggest me doing the MCDST exams first and then 270, 290, 291 etc? If so, how quickly could I take the exams (few weeks, a month?)

(I will be funded for the exams btw)

Thanks 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello,

How much knowledge/ hands - on experience do you have?

A lot of people who are new to the industry start with A+, then perhaps onto MCDST - depending on the path they wish to take. What did your degree involve? - did it have much hands-on?

Why are you in such a rush to pass? It would make more sense to learn things thoroughly so you understand what you're doing!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. ukspeedster

Ive got some good knowledge of Windows XP Pro, and have used it throughout my degree.
    It was a computer science degree which involved a broad range of topics - practical and theoretical. Topics such as programming, computer architecture, AI, Networking,...etc etc.

I'm trying to learn and study at the same time. I'd like to do these exams as soon as possible, and also, in the process gain practical experience at work.
    Im not trying to rush, just getting on with it, as i'm a quick learner.

8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think since MCDST would be a good starting point for you at the moment. I then suggest you look at the Network+ because later on in your MCSE you will need to have networking up to scratch - in fact from 291!

I didnt find MCDST hard but its not easy either! :biggrin Even if you are a power-user there will be some stuff that will be new to you. I suggest you get the 2 MS Press books and work your way through those.

Time scale i took 2 months to study for both then booked them one week apart.. came out with scores in the mid 800's - but a pass is a pass.. like its been said no time scale - when you ready you ready!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. ukspeedster

How long did it take you to do 70-270, 70-290, and how long for 70-291 ?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend the MCDST first, especially because they're funded. If there's not a lot of information in there you don't already know, then you'll be able to pass without a lot of study. On the other hand, if there IS a lot of information in there that you don't already know, then it will have been worthwhile to study it, right?

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

270 = nearly 2 months
    290 = 3 months
    291 = 5 months+ - and counting!

no im not getting lazy... i started studying for 291 over the summer spent 3 months on it full time studying and i still wasnt ready! :( i've come to uni now and i started studying again so hopefully end of jan ill have a shot at it - its one hell of an exam so the almighty needs to take pitty on me! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics