MCSD or MCAD or MCPD or MCTS

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by andy419us, Dec 26, 2007.

1. andy419us

andy419us New Member

Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum today only. ! so Merry Christmas!! and best wishes for the New Year coming ahead!!!

About me:
    I am a software developer in Long Island, New York, US from July,07. Also, I have a prior work experience of an year in India after which I did my Master's in Computer Science from State University of New York at Binghamton, NY.

Question:

I am planning to get a certification in .NET technologies sometime in near future. Currently, I am working on VS2005 and .NET 2.0 in Windows forms . Also, previously I have worked in .NET1.1 and VS2003 in India on Web applications.

I am confused right now which certification do I need to complete? Which one is better MCAD or MCSD or MCPD or MCTS..? Also, could someone let me know or fwd me the link that shows the Hierarchy of these certifications? Also what prerequisite exams do I need to clear?

I am searching over the .NET but getting confused. Could any one help me out!!

Regards
    Andy

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Hi Andy, welcome to the forums. The MCSD has been out for a long time, so it definitely has more recognition than the MCPD or MCTS. Basically, you have two paths. You can go after the .NET 2.0 certifications, which are MCTS and MCPD, or if you think your job might require that you work with .NET 1.1, you can go after the MCAD and MCSD. Microsoft has some information about all of the certifications on their Web site.

3. andy419us

andy419us New Member

Hi BosonJosh

Thanks for your quick response!! I looked into the M$ website and figured out following:

Exam Level : Highest Intermediate Lower
    .NET version :

1.x MCSD MCAD MCP (Any exam given that is not yet retired)
    2.0 MCPD MCTS MCP

This is based on exam requirements of MCSD and MCPD (viz..MCTS need for MCPD.. link)
    Correct me If I am wrong?

Also, I remember that for getting the MCSD certification you can give the Core exam of Web/Windows application development in either C# or VB.NET i.e. say for Web application u can give Exam 70-305 for VB.NET or Exam 70-315 for C#.

Is there any similar kind of pattern for MCPD too? Can I choose any specific language?

Once again thanks for ur quick response.

Regards
    Andy