MCSD or CIW - Training Providers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by candyman, Aug 22, 2005.

1. candyman

candyman Bit Poster

Dear all,

I am based in Manchester and have recently designed Web Pages using Dreamweaver/Flash/Photoshop and have 2-3 years experience with C/C++ on UNIX (graphics programming 5 years ago) and am looking to get paid work at a starting salary of 14K+ programming/web applications ideally combining coding and design.

Currently, I am considering doing either CIW (Application Developer/Enterprise Developer) or MCSD. SkillsTrain charge just over £2000 for CIW Application Developer including Foundations and Web Languages exams. I did not get a price for their CIW Enterprise Developer but the sales consultant did say that I would get a job with CIW Application Developer. However, it appears that very few UK companies recognise this qualification.

I have looked at UK-Open-Learning and IT Skills (North) but the former are online only and exams cost extra and IT Skills appear to not offer the CIW Application Developer/Enterprise Developer pathway. Also, they only offer the MCSD through the VB.net pathway and not the C# pathway. Is this a common issue?

Have anyone had any experience with SkillsTrain, uk-open-learning or IT Skills?

UK-Open Learning are £1950 for CIW Enterprise Developer and IT Skils are just under £4000 for either CIW Master Designer
    or MCSD. Has anyone used either of these organisations (IT Skills or UK-Open-Learning) and how do they compare with SkillsTrain?

Would I be better off creating my own demos in C/C++ and Websites or doing the MCSD/CIW? A combination of demos plus certs plus voluntary work will be ideal but this takes time. Also, what are your views on course completion timescales and self study options?

Finally, what other training providers do you recommend in addition to the above (apart from Computeach)?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm doing an MCSD with IT Skills so if you want to PM me I'll give you my opinions/comments or answer any of your questions. I can't compare them to any of the other training providers becuse I only know about my own exeriences.

They do the VB.NET track for MCSD.

You're right, CIW isn't well known in the UK. However there isn't really a good alternative Web design cert which is why so many training providers do Master CIW Designer. However, for the other certs they offer I'd check out what the course contains and if those skills are in demand.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

I know UK open learning well - they are resellers of LearnKey - so will provide just online learning and not sure of the level of support.

If you want to go down the route of Online learning you can most probably find a better deal.

4. candyman

candyman Bit Poster

Learnkey do not do the MCAD/MCSD and CIW Application Developer/Enterprise developer (at least they are not listed for purchase on their Website). However they do appear to have just about everything else.

It also looks like very few training providers do the C# route for MCSD.

Also, I'll be checking with learndirect and some IT recruiters about certs and experience this week. Hope to find more useful info.

5. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

They do actually ....

In addition Netg and ElementK do both tracks.