Mcsa

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by noel123ie, Apr 8, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi all

I hope to have my MCSA at the end of Arpil.

Im currently on Level 1 helpdesk and hope to

1 Move jobs
    2 Continue studying

Would it be a dangerous move to think of moving in the current climate.Id love a sys admin job but probably would need to go for desktop support role as too big a jump with current experience

Also I hope to continue studying after break for Summer or maybe study during the Summer depending on weather etc

What would be best courses to do maybe upgrade exams to 2008 or maybe hardware like CCNA etc

I really want a certificate that will help me to move to another role

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

An MCSA would certainly show you have an aptitude to be an Administrator but experience is king so I think its wise you consider a desktop support role as your next move because you can learn a lot about SUS and deploying Windows using various methods, using Ghost imaging software etc as they do in my company.

With regards to it being a good time to move. Its a hard one. If you have been with your current employer for years you may miss out on a good redundancy payment. Also depends on the benefits you are getting now. Mine paid for my degree and my MS exams so I've stayed for 10 years.

Each to their own but unless it was a good few quid more I'd stay where you are and work on making your helpdesk role more technical. Our helpdesk work with Active directory, Quarentine email blocking, Lotus Notes, all kinds. If your desk isn't as technical, make suggestions. Ask if you can be shown how to reset Windows account passwords by your Server team, that sort of thing

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Yes, and I'd also add to the good advice above, and say that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

If it's financial reasons you want to jump ship, then wait until you have the MCSA. If you are unhappy and see no internal progression forth coming, then perhaps you should consider it.

If you are working hard, playing the game, always volunteering to take tasks on no matter how trivial, demonstrating a can do attitude, you should get the rewards.....sometimes this reward can take time...but then openings do come up.....your name should be on the list of internal candidates. That said, times are tough right now for most....especially if you work for a bank right now !!.......however, even in hard times, they still need to keep good people !! My Mrs for example happens to be very good at her job and is respected, and she's still managed a promotion and decent pay increase....so it can still be done.

You just need to shine in all areas, and if you see others not doing this, you can take reward from the fact that they are less likely to present competition for you.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  4. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply

Will finish MCSA and then see how things are going

All the best,
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

That's a good point. I used to get frustrated with colleagues not pulling their weight until I realised they made me look good ha ha Needless to say my promotion to Team Leader didn't take long, neither did my pay increases, all because of my can-do attitude. When asked if I could look into something I always said "no problem, easy" even if I'd never heard of it! Then I'd run off and find out how to do as I was asked. Worked for me

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Indeed, tis the only way to get on. If you work hard, show the right attitude, you'll get on. Those who cruise along just doing enough to stay employed are needed......I think you need a balance because not everyone wants to get that next promotion or challenging opportunity.....some folk are there just for the money and are willing to put up with things to get it. If you know who those people are, you just need to adjust your attitude towards them, just accept that you'll need to do some of their work for them....that they are not as motivated, fine, don't sweat it. If you allow it to get to you, it'll only bring you down...so don't let that happen.

I just think since most of us need to work that it's better to make the most of it.....take pride in the small things you do as well as in the larger more technical challenges. It's only when you start to slide that others notice and before long your in a dangerous place. So I try to set daily challenges treat everyday as a new canvas......just because your are not getting daily thank you's from your managers that they do not notice your hard work.......managers just like techies have a lot on their plates.......and by the same token, most savvy managers know who the slackers are. You need to look out for yourself, only you are going to get out what you put in.....nothing new there. The methods of success have not changed much over the years......!

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  7. ram21

ram21 Banned

its better u start with mcsa as for system adminstrator.for financial prob i suggest go for online learning. i hav gone through a site on google spam spam spam. which is providing authenticate study material.