MCSA where now...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by noel123ie, Jun 29, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Currently have mcsa and hope to do further MCPs to get MCSA Security and Messeging.

However after this I do not know whether to go on and finish MCSE or do Linux + first.

Im currently at Level 1 technical support and want to do something that will enhance cv and get me to the secong level.

I uinderstand I may be over qualified for desktop support with MCSA but want to do all I can to get a move on career.

Any help would be great,

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

First line support and a MCSE? MS reckon you should have 2 years of server side experiance before you look at the MCSE and while I do not doubt your technical ability without the experiance to back up that qualification you run the risk of being labelled a paper MCSE.

As for the Linux question - do you do a lot of linux based work? Perhaps you could do something like the N+ to add to your transferable skills.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

I understnad that but I am cautious about moving due to recession and i can always add my certs and job type upgrades and changes

best advice you can give to anyone is upskill when in a poor job and rise when the recession rises or when you feel secure about a job offer to take it

Ive already done N+ A+ and security+ at a local college
    Also Ive got Security+

Currently studying for mcsa security and messaging what certs should I include on cv?

Thanks
    Noel

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

If you've already got Security+ and an MCSA, you log onto the MCP website and verify you have Security+ and bobs your uncle, MCSA: Security as Microsoft recognise Sec+ as an elective, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

According to microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx#tab3

I have to do 70-299 as well?

BTW how do I add my detisl to micosoft site to get my mcsa- Ive already got other mcps registered there?

Thanks
    Noel

6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

You are correct - upskilling is the best thing to do - but the point I was making is that with out the experiance you can upskill too much, which may devalue you untill you have the experiance to back it up.

The term for this is as I mentioned is Paper MCSE, IE they have it on paper but have no real world experiance to back up their theoritical knowledge.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012