MCSA what next

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dales, Jun 3, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all, I know that this is a stupidly wide open topic and very personal but what can I do after completing my mcsa. Since ive only got the 291 to complete (I say only but), I have started to think about what I want to do next. At the moment I dont think its worth carrying on to MCSE as i dont think that I will require those skills now or in the imediate future.

I quite fancy doing something citrixy so have been looking into that. There is of course the ccna, but personally I dont think its worth doing because so many people have that as well as the mcsa so I want to branch out somewhere slightly different.

I will continue to dabble in linux but what else is there to do!!!!:unsure

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id look at what skills you need in your current job, and what you need to move up a level?

Exchange is probably worth looking at, so are the AD certs, then again this puts you close to (if not at) MCSE but these are worth doing as they are commonly used.

Its on my to do list somewhere down the line (Citrix CCNA) as i use it at work, im comfortable in the management console, and have installed and published a few apps, but (as with other things) the system was all ready up and running when i arrived here, so haven't learned that much (although know a lot more now)

One thing i want to do that isnt IT related is finally get my drivers license, i think its easy to focus on IT, but there are always other areas of our lives we could focus on and improve for a while.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi thanks for the thoughts, i think exchange would be a useful thing, at the moment we use netware and groupwise, but as far as im concerned netware is dead in the water, and would be of little use to me as a cert when its time too look elsewhere.

hmm perhaps exchange and citrix it will be then!

Can anyone think of anything else.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi There

Just a suggestion, but I'm seeing more and more about networks that require integration between two different server OS's. As an example, organisations running Windows Server Domains, but introducing Linux servers to take over certain functions, such as Web Server or DNS. I'm starting to think that interchangeable skills are going to become more sought after. You said that you are dabbling with Linux, so maybe it would be worth studying something like Linux + or the Red Hat Certs, as it demonstrates a wider skill base. Having a bit of knowledge of interoperability between the two systems may be useful, such as mapping Linux LDAP stuff to Active Directory.

Where I work, we have two suites of iMacs, with a high likelyhood of getting more soon, so my plans are to obtain an MCSA, and supplement this with a couple of the Apple certs.

Good luck with the 70-291!

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for your input, we have a load of linux servers at work (windows are in the minority), so I have to look at them every once in a while.

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

There's your sign.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yup... get your MCSE whilst getting rid of the Linux boxes and replacing them with Winserver 2003 and/or 2008.... :twisted:

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally would go through for the MCSE as you'd learn loads that would come useful as your career progresses. I'm currently preparing for the 70-291 exam as well and am using MS press book second edition and would then go on to use transcender test prep as well as the study guide from preplogic.

If you don't mind me asking you what study materials are you using at present to prepare for this exam 70-291? Best wishes too:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

well at the moment i've only got the sybex 291 book, I am going to buy a couple of other books been abit slow on getting study material cause of some bad stuff going on around me.

Oh yes I bought funnily enough the mike meyers network+ book as well for backup, obviously not in the same league but it was only £18 quid and has the best description so far that I can find of subnetting. I really want to like the mspress training guides but I cant seem to get on very well with them as they seem to have too many basic walkthroughs of screens and things, when I study its mostly in my lunchtime then I fiddle around with what I learned during the day on my test servers. I'll proberbly get the exam cram book and have a little looksie at what else takes my fancy.

The linux servers are good at work as are the windows servers, its netware that I think is bobbins!

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You could go for the MCSE and also for a Cisco\Citrix cert at the same time just to get some variation in your studying. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

There was a time when Netware was the best you could get. I spent about 5 minutes messsing about with a Netware server once, not enough to see much of it. Didn't they have a directory based way of administration that MS based active directory on?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Great stuff. That's what I just did, got the last *nix server off the network 2 weeks ago and will maybe kill it properly next week. :twisted:

I notice in your profile work in progress that you have the ITIL Foundation listed. I hear a lot that this will be very important in the future so you can't go wrong with this.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Great news! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certify on what you know... learn what you don't. :)

Simple as that!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You can't believe how happy I am.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes ive already done the ITIL course and exam about 2 weeks ago, im just waiting for the results by post. god that course was boring, my eyeballs nearly fell out of their sockets!:sleeping