MCSA Study Time Query

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by TommyTee, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

For anyone that has completed the four exams via self study, how long did they roughly take you to prepare for? for example:

exam 1 - 1 month, 5 hours a day
    exam 2 - 2 months, 5 hours a day.
    etc etc

I understand people have different backgrounds and materials so i'm just trying to get a feel for working out rough time scales. I have to book exams before starting the material so I commit myself 100% as to not lose out financially, I tell myself this is a good idea :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This can't really be answered as everyone is different as you pointed out yourself.

Lets take me and another member on here lets say Boson Michael (hope you don't mind BM), whilst he has been in the industry for a few years and I have only just started out it could take me a year whilst BM could probably walk into the exam the day after tomorrow and pass.

That is because he has experience behind him and I don't.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's no good way to figure that out. I took very-little-to-no time at all - others take years. How would you figure that data into your calculation?

I would recommend that you study until you fully understand the concepts... no more, no less. If you want to see if you're ready, buy a practice exam from a trusted exam provider and see how you do with a batch of previously unseen questions (NOT simply taking them over and over until you get them all right).

How long does it take? As long as it takes.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't mind at all - as you see, we think quite similarly on this matter. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies, I kinda anticipated that it does very much depend. My exp is 4 years, 2 helpdesk and 2 in 2nd line role along with a couple things in my profile.

I suppose at the end of the day like you guys say, learn the material until you're ready. I really havent investigated the content of this exam too be honest so I think that should be my next step so I can see how it all relates to what I already know.

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Everyone is different. Some learn at a different pace, some do or don't have enough time to spare. If it helps, which it probably won't, it took me 7 months for MCSA:Security. I felt I could have done it quicker but whats the rush. As said, understanding it all is all that matters. I worked in IT for 9-10 years before getting a single cert (apart from ITIL-F)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, get balls deep and bash the MCSA out.

If you apply yourself, mate, I reckon you could knock out the OS cert in under a month, then give yourself between 1-2 months for the server certs.

Aim to be done in about 6 months, oh and on the elective, don't do something crap like another OS make it relevant e.g. Exchange.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Thanks guys, it's all food for thought. Perhaps after I complete the CCNA I will book the first core exam a month later, start studying and shift the exam if I need to.

I couldn't really find a clear answer to this, my understanding is the MCSA is 4 exams and the MCSE is 8, would I be right in thinking that by completing the MCSA you're half way toward completing the MCSE (i.e. 4/8 exams complete).

9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's completey down to you as an individual (prior knowledge, aptitude for learning, how much study time you allocate etc etc etc).

Personally though... *finishes post to see time-frame*... 8 months for me.

Admittedly I did do the MCDST first, which is technically one more exam for MCSA than is required, plus started a new Sys Admin role in September (hence the gap).

Server exams took more time for me because they were new, but once you have the knowledge down you'll be surprised as to what you can accomplish.

Hope that helps.

Qs

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA