MCSA or MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by bobby24london, May 17, 2009.

1. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

thanks to everyone that has answered my queries regarding the A+ and the MCDST courses, now just wondering if i should go straight for the MCSA even without either of the above what are your views? thanks bobby:D

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Bobby, you would be well off starting with the A+ Comptia cert and then followed by the N+ cert as both would give you solid knowledge leading to MS certs:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

thank you for response mate, ive heard a rumour that both certs together are the equal equivilant of an MCSA cert, is that right????? bobby :D:D

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You would need to sit the MS exams 70-271 and 70-272 and then couple these with your A+ and N+ cert to gain the MCSA. It's not that straight forward:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If you threw the server+ in there I maigh be inclined to say yes but without it not a chance. The other thing to remember is that because the Compita certificates are vendour neutral they cover a wide bredth of things but not really to as much depth, where as the MS ones can be very very deep (for instance list all the commands that follow a certain command).

Long and short - they are not equal, or even Close.

As for the MCSA/MCSE these are not beginners certificates, and until recently the MCSE was the flag ship MS cert, in their words you should be doing server administration full time for about two years before going for it and while the milage on this varies I think it is a good guide line.

I have been doing this full time again for about two years now and the thing I am learning most from these books is how much I don't know.

Another reason for not missing out the entry level certificates is that if you do not have the experiance to back up your MCSe you will be reguarded as a "Paper MCSE which are aw well reguarded as the muppet who keeps screwing up my coffee order in the mornings.....

Do yourself a favour - dont rush to the end as you will only be cheating yourself.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

thanks everyone especially ginger dave will take your advice, sounds sensible to learn how to walk first before i run thanks

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not even close.

First of all you need to do three required exams plus one elective. This mostly consists of the 290 and 291 to complete the networking systems exams (see above) plus one of the following client exams; 210, 270 or 620.

You are then free to choose an elective from an 'approved' list but you can also use the Comptia A+ and N+ together or the MCDST as this elective.

You can find more info here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you shouldn't do either unless you have the relevant work experience, having high level certs and no experience can have a negative effect when applying for job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?