MCSA or CCNA CCDA

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by leeruddock, Mar 15, 2007.

1. leeruddock

leeruddock New Member

Hi there i am new to this forum and have just started working towards my A+ certification and i am hopefully going to get through to MCSA and CCDA, just a question for you guys out there.

Would you do MCSA before CCNA & CCDA or would you take CCNA & CCDA then MCSA?

Look forward to your replies

Cheers
    Lee

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there,

The two (or three) certification paths test different skill sets and as such are difficult to compare. On is dealing with MS technologies whilst the other deals with routing and switching.

The question you should be asking is what path do you want to follow?

8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup what Simon said. Decide on the track you want to take.

and welcome to the forum :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. leeruddock

leeruddock New Member

I think i am hopefully going to get round in doing them all

A+
    Network+
    MCSDT
    Security+
    MCSA
    CCNA
    CCDA
    MCSE
    CCNP

would you do them in this order? also could someone reccomend some excellent books to help me self study and pass the exams please?

thanks for the welcome much appreciated

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

That path looks good to me, although i suspect it will take you at least a couple of years.

Start with the A+ and the best book which has been mentioned numerous times here is the Mike Myers A+ all in one tome - not sure what the latest version is.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would do the A+ first, get an IT job, then see where my interests take me.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the order you've got those certifications in, as long as you build experience before going past the MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. laup

laup Byte Poster

If i was to study all them id do em in this order

A+ - Definately for baseknowledge of Comp Hardware ect
    N+ - This will give ya a lil heads up towards CCNA but i think its pointless if your doin CCNA
    70-270 - Instead of mcdst
    CCNA - Will take you along time
    CCDA - Shouldnt take too long after
    70-291/70-290 - Good Networking knowledge from CCNA ect will help greatly with these, Finishing those 2 will give u MCSA.
    CCNP - Dont leave too long dont want to forget all Cisco Stuff
    MCSE - Polish off the other exams for it
    Security+ - If u think its worth it and u got the money to take the exam after that lot :twisted:

my 2 pennys

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, glad you found us.

Like it's been mentioned before, if I were you, I would do the A+, Network+ & maybe the MCDST (as they are entry level professional certs), enter the IT profession, then see where you go.

Remember professional certs should, more or less, reflect your job/role. IMO there's no need to study, and do the exams, for the CCNA/CCDA if you're not going to work with Cisco equipment. And you will struggle if you're going to work in a Unix/Linux environment and try to do the MCSA.

However if your lucky you may find yourself working in a Windows domain environment that uses Cisco switches/routers in it's network infrusturer. If that's the case, I would do the plan that you more or less already set-up. But don't think that the cert plan will be easy, it will be a long and hard journey.

Good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. leeruddock

leeruddock New Member

I have heard of transcenders can someone tell me what these are and what they do? and also for what courses they are used for? also what books do you recocmend for Network+ and MCDST?

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They are practice exams that can be used to see if you're ready for the real thing. They contain explanations for each question. I used to write for Transcender.

What courses are they used for? Although some training providers purchase licenses so their students can use them while taking a course, they're not specifically for any particular course... they're used to see if you're ready for a certification exam. If you want to see what they have, why don't you check out their Web site?

For Network+, I recommend Sybex. For Microsoft exams, I always recommend MS Press and Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685