MCSA/MCSE Direction

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, Aug 30, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I just got an email from my new employees (which i start working for on thurs) about certifications and it seems to have made me wondering. Im in my last year of BTEC and had intended in finishing B.Sc Comp Networking in the UK BUT after two years of slugging i finally cracked the shell and landed an Support/Network job - WHICH CHANGES THINGS!

1)Im intending to stay here and get experience but is this the right thing at the moment? Im 20 years old so i would say i got a lot of time to get my degree..

2)Now the part that i want help on I can do certs at half price! At the moment im re-doing my A+ from an in-house A+ from Zimbabwe and since joining CF have had my eyes opened! :eek:
    I got 3 months experience before this job so im very entry-level but keen to learn... CCNA looks too far at the moment hence after studying the MS site i decided MCSA/MCSE.

Here is what i got in mind..
    After the A+ go for Network+ -i can use this for my MCSA then start 70-270. I would like to finish up with MCSE Security so after that Security+ those 4 will hopefully take me through to about feb/march next year where I intend in getting the MCSE and MCSE:Security! :ohmy :ohmy

This all sounds nice but im still not sure if its possible thats what i want know from your experiences???

Im going to mix self-study (mostly) with some classes... i have access to FREE tutor support so i think i can do what i intend in doing...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Anything is possible.

You have set yourself a very realistic target and if you can should try to stick to it.

I see no reason why you can't achieve A+, Network+, and 70-270 by feb / mar next year. Just keep putting the effort in.

As for going further this may take more time, depending on your circumstances, what your job is, how much time you can dedicate to study, etc. You may also find that after being in your job for so long that security no longer interests you and that you have a liking for databases and should adapt your studies accordingly.

what is important though is that you have set yourself a goal, and should endevour to stick to it (even if it varies enroute). Good luck!

8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

one other question i have is a+/n+ can be used for mcsa right? wouldnt it be worth more to do the security+ before the network+? since my goal essentially is MCSE which uses security+ as an elective? im using the comptia exams as foundations...

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/
    a+ with n+/server+ can substitute an mcsa elective

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Although you may find that you're considering doing the security+ I would suggest that you carry on with the A+, N+ combo, and go for security later.

The A+ and Network+ will provide you with many fundamentals which will provide you with a better starting base on which to base your future studies.

From what I understand of the security+ cert you will need to understand areas that will be covered in the Network+, such as firewalls, etc.

8)

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

In addition to what I just said you may find that the Network+ will help you more in your new job, as you are unlikely to be let loose applying new security policies atraight away! :biggrin

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

okay i started paying attention to the MCSE section this morning and im "pooped"! The 70-270 seems to be the angel of microsoft then you get hit hard with 70-290 and 291 and i see some poor soul not getting through 290 the 5th time! I havent worked with server OS before and my job wont be helpful in the beginnning either but i do intending "begging" the bosses to mix me with the experiece techies to atleast watch them! What can i do to maybe learn a few things to avoid failing 5 times! Im bound to fail an exam i accept that but i just want to be prepared? Would Server+ be any help (being a neutral exam)?

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To avoid failing zimbo you will have to make sure that you are more than prepared for the exams. you will need to know your stuff, know the exam objectives like the back of your hand. even then though you are still not guaranteed to pass, as it simply depends on how you feel on the day, the environment, the questions, and alsorts of other factors.

Whilst the server+ may appeal to you I don't think it would be that much help if you are going for the MS exams, as it covers things like linux servers, although I could be wrong.

Stay focused on your current objectives. You will probably find that when you come to study for the Win XP exam you will have to do a lot of research into the server side of things which will help you inturn when you come to the MS server exams.

What you will also find is that when you are doing your job you may find yourself learning far more than you think just by doing your daily tasks, for instance if you are asked to reset a user password you will need to become familliar with the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC.

All in all though, my advise to you would be to carry on with your A+, then your Network+, followed by either the MCDST exams and then 70-270, or vise versa.

8)

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

MCDST is something im sceptical about... is this the one-up on 70-270? I know what the cert is all about but how useful is it?

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How useful it is depends on what you do in your daily tasks. For instance I took it because I liked the look of it, and looked at what it tested and thought 'I do that everyday, I could get this easily'.

BTW, I was already an MCSA when I took these exams, so I didnt have much study to do.

8)

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i feel confident in the XP exams... i have looked at the topics and im aware its just not about an OS... looking at the exam codes is it safe to say that the MCDST builds on 70-270?

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

In a way yes, but 70-270 requires you to have more knowledge technically.

8)