MCSA lab books

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asterix, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    I am now looking to complete both MS 70-290/91 exams to finalise my MCSA and rather that stick my head in a book i have decided to purchase some hardware and learn to configure 'NOS' 2K3. I have made this decision to cncentrate more on practical skills at this stage so i can learn the system config before validating skills with certification (rather than learn while studying for exams). I have found the MS press book contains so good lab examples to work through and have just purchased 'Build Your Own Server' by Tony C. Caputo. (pending 10 days delivery) Linky
    has anyone used this book before? and can anyone recomend any further books that would help me with the 2K3 config for a fairly newbie.
    Regards,
    Craig

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How much real-world server administration experience do you have?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Not too much Server admin atm,
    Current job i have to remote desktop to server to run applications, (RSA, software encryption, Ghost etc).
    And deal with creation and management of distribution lists, security groups and user accounts.
    From posts on CF i now am looking to set up kit at home in lab to gain the server admin experience i need that i cant get at my current job.

Craig

4. BosonMichael

Have you considered a lateral shift into a job where you can assist the server admins to get that experience?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I have already moved 3 times within a year and now at a decent company, which gives me quite tech 1st line responsibillities. so im looking at gettign the additional expereince from a home lab and making the switch in a year or 2

6. BosonMichael

Home lab experience doesn't put you in the position of administering a server that is used by real-world users with real-world data and real-world problems. Certainly something is better than nothing... but you're still not going to have the expeirence Microsoft recommends: 6 months of administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server, 250+ user environment.

I wish you well in your studies.

7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Possibly not but it will provide me with an increase in knowledge that i do require to get a job that will allow me to administer a server that is used by real-world users, real-world data and real-world problems

8. BosonMichael

That's my point. It won't provide you with experience that an employer will consider experience. Employers won't hire you based on your knowledge... they hire you based on your real-world experience.

The way to get that experience is like I suggested to you: make a lateral shift to a position where your employer WILL let you assist the server admins.