MCSA 2000 - recommended elective(s)?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Hster, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Hster

Hster New Member

Hi all.

Having lurked for a while I thought I might pick everyones' brains.

Having worked for about 4 and a half years for a 'Power Dialler' company supporting a proprietary product (which uses Windows NT4 Server and AIX Unix), I've chucked it in and I'm now studying for my MCSA.

I'm following the MCSA 2000 path (seems to me that there are still lots of companies on the 2000 platform) and intend to take the 'conversion' exam at the end to get the MCSA 2003 certification as well (hopefully covering all bases).

I passed the 70-210 exam last week and realise that I now need to pass 70-215 and 70-218. However, I'm unsure what the best elective would be to take for the fourth and final (MCSA 2000) exam.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there an exam that is particularly useful / highly valued? Or should I think about the Security or Messaging track perhaps?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Personally I'd recommend the Server 2003 track - there's very little difference with just a few extra bells and whistles - and would save you money/time doing the update exams.

For an elective I'd suggest the Security (it's 299 for 2003 track, not sure with the 2000 without looking it up).

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

What he said

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Hster

Hster New Member

KeithNN, Phoenix - thank you both for your comments.

Would you mind clarifying why it isn't worth getting both the 2000 and 2003 qualifications? It's only one extra exam after all, and time / money aside, I thought that it might demonstrate to a potential employer that I can work with both 'flavours' of the OS. I was looking at it as almost a '2 for the price of 1' if you see what I mean!

If you advise that it isn't worthwhile (are employers no longer interested in the 2000 qualification?) then I'll do as you say and change onto the 2003 track.

Moving on, if I recall I read an article or two recently saying that a security cert was one of the 'hot' qualifications at the moment. I could quite easily cultivate an interest in this area so I think that it could well be worth pursuing.

Thanks again.

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi, try looking HERE

This link is to a thread regarding this subject. Happy reading :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Hster

Hster New Member

Thanks for the link AJ, it makes interesting reading.

I'm still not 100% certain why everyone is against following the 2000 track (even at this late stage). I'd have thought that it would look better on a CV to be able to show MCSA 2000/2003 than just 2003. However, as all the posters in that thread say to follow 2003 only, then that's good enough for me!

Going back to my original query, I think that I'll take the necessary elective(s) to follow the Security track.

Cheers!

7. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Not against it at all. It just makes a little more sense, value for money and future proofing, that's all. There's no right or wrong answer but we're suggesting that the 2003 track is probably a better bet. The time/money spent upgrading the MCSA 2000 can go instead on being one step closer to your MCSE. As I said earlier, Server 2003 is fundamentally 2000 with extra bells and whistles - and on your CV you'd just list your MCSA or MCSA because that's what you are.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Here's what I did.

I took the 210, 215, and 218 exam, and already had CompTIA A+ and Net+ certs. A+ and Net+ cert combo is an elective for MCSA2K. Then you can take 292 for the upgrade and have MCSA 2K and 2K3.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  9. Hster

Hster New Member

Ah, I take your point. As 2003 'covers' much of the same ground as 2000, I suppose trying to claim both 2000 and 2003 on a CV would be a bit like repeating yourself!

Well, I'm sold on the 2003 track - I'd better get researching each of the necessary exams and then find some books to buy. Lucky I took the 70-210 first - at least that will still count for 2003.

And to The_Geek, that sounds reasonable, however plans are are made to be changed and so I think it's time to switch tracks. MCSA 2003 plus Security for me!

Thanks again for all the input. :thumbleft