MCPD Advice Needed - Desktop OR Web!?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by 30secondstosam, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 30secondstosam

30secondstosam New Member

Hi all,

I'm really desperate for some guidence and advice about the MCPD. I am currently working as a Systems Developer, I have had just over 4 years experience developing bespoke applications (and working on 3rd party apps) in various difference languages. C#, VB, even VBA. I'd say 90% of this has been deskop developing and about 10% developing for web, PHP mainly.

I want to drive forward in my career and I was told by a IT Software Manager that the best option for me would be to do a MCPD. I was dead set on doing an MCPD in desktop development until I went and had a look at jobs (in the London area). It appears that desktop development jobs just aren't as popular as they used to be. So now I'm thinking about doing it in web development. However, would I struggle to get a job after because my experience has been in desktop developing or would it be looked at as general development experience?
    I'm concernd that I need to make the right decision before I spend a lot of money on this certificate...

Also, I am lookin at going into contracting as it pays more and I don't need a stable job at this period in my life. I'm wondering if there is anyone who can advise me about that too and how I can get into contracting?

Many thanks for your help !!!

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you want to get certified, get certified in what you know or have most experience in.
    Don't obsess about what you think might be more useful in the future.
    Certify in what you know, then study and gain experience in what you want to do next.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. 30secondstosam

I am concerned about the lack of jobs though. I'd rather go down the route that will be most rewarding for me financially too, seeing as I will be paying a lot for this certification..

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Don't pay a lot for the certification, with relevant experience why would you need to ? The book and exams are £120 quid each and you need to take 4 exams, so say £500 all in. That is not a massive training outlay for an experienced developer and is likely to be stretched over 6-12 months.

How do you know a web job will be the most financially rewarding ? If you don't have the experience you are likely to get offered less at least initially.
    If we are talking a few years down the line then you could be in many different careers by then depending on a lot of factors.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's a valid point, but you are still better off certified in something that you are experienced in, rather than something that you aren't.
    That will pay off in the short terms - long term, sure look into something that may be in more demand.

It's a common mistake that people new to certification make, the cert itself isn't the key to employment. An employer will always be looking for someone with skills and experience. A cert will back that up, not the other way round.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just take the following into consideration...

1. All you are seeing are the external advertising jobs. Alot of organisations will advertise internally before advertising externally.
    2. You are just seeing a snap shot of the job markets at the moment. They all go thru a cycle, one minute X is more popular and is demand, the next Y is more popular and is in demand, then the cycle starts up again. However at this period of time, the IT job market isn't as good as it was a few years ago...

Also take into consideration that the new MCTS/MCPD do actually retire, once they retire unless you constantly keep them up to date, you will lose the credentials (however your MCP transcript will always contain the list of exams that you've passed).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A few years ago you could get decent undergrad and postgrad training for £3k a year, you still can in some european countries, these qualifications involve hundreds of hours hands on tuition and a qualification for life.

Certifications expire and get devalued in numerous ways, If you are spending thousands on a series of certs you really need to step back and have a hard look at what you are doing.

Cheap and low cost training options in the self learn or distance learning market have improved massively over the last 20 years. You have CBT, Webinars, Local User Groups, Conferences, Distance Learning, Blogs, Portals, Books / Training Guides.

You could get most of what you need from Microsoft Express, MSDN and Channel9 alone just for the cost of your ISP.

Thats before I mention initiatives like MIT open courseware, udacity, Google books/videos, TED and the hundreds of other schemes.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  8. 30secondstosam

I don't think I've ever been so confused about the right thing to do... This is a tough decision. Either way, I want to make myself more "employable".