MCP requirements

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by kevineaton77, Feb 2, 2009.

1. kevineaton77

kevineaton77 New Member

Hi guys and girls i hope you are all well.

i passed 2 MS courses a number of years ago in SQL and VB. (1013 mastering VB6 and 2072A: Administering a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database) i think those are the 2. lets assume they are.

i have since binned the manuals and certificates.

i need to show that i am an MCP. or at least microsoft certified.

a few questions:

1) even if i can proove i passed those 2 exams does it entitle me to be an MCP?
    2) if yes to 1, how can i get proof that i passed the courses - is there a central MS register?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

from your description, it sounds like they were 'courses' and not necessarily 'exams'.
    Did you actually sit the formal exams?

If so, a call or email to your local Microsoft regional service centre should sort you out.
    I've always found them pretty helpful.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

You should perhaps have access to the online MCP site which will allow you to download certificates and transcripts etc..

I would contact Microsoft and ask them to resend your details to enable you to log in to access your information. I am of course assuming that you are an MCP and that the older courses you mentioned are still accepted. I am no expert but i am sure that they have not been retired yet. Even if they are, i am sure someone on here would be able to tell you if that means you are still an MCP.

I think it is all linked to your live account. Here is the MCP site, maybe there is some information there that may help with lost details?

MCP Site

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be part of the community :)

There is the MCP site run by MS or you can contact the MCP helpdesk directly.

However, you state that you passed the courses. Did you actually sit the official MS exams at either a Vue or Prometric centre? If yes then MS will have your records, if you only sat the course and did the class assessment (not the exam) then you're not a MCP.

Contact and have a word with them :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. kevineaton77

kevineaton77 New Member

we did the exams of some sort. i definately got a certificate, but if it was "kev has completed this course" or "Kev has sat and passed exam A" im not sure.

We went to global knowledge in London, i think. or it might have been knowledge tree in London. it was about 5 years ago.

we certainly did some kind of test, but whether it was the official MS one or not i dont know. i think we did it at the same place we did the course.

sorry to be so vague.

just to clarify, it would be very handy for my business to be microsoft certified right now. It would be easier and cheaper for me to already be an MCP if you see what i mean (even if ive not previously recognised the fact!), thats why i thought id check to see if these modules would count for that.

if these 2 modules wont give me that then i will have to complete a course that will.

i know its a long shot but it would be handy if someone knew off the top of their head if those 2 would give me MCP status anyways - if they dont then theres no point in digging any further! anyways, i thought id check.

thanks for all the suggestions so far. i will start checking with MS tomorrow.

6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

For the course 2072A, the exam you'd need to take to be MCP would be 70-228. See here and here on the MS site for more info. It retires on 31/03/2009.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't complete a course to get MCP status... you pass a Microsoft exam to get MCP status. That's the only way to get the MCP certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. kevineaton77

kevineaton77 New Member

boson michael...yes, i understand that.

giddyg, would that mean that if i had passed that exam that the mcp status would be revoked on that date as well?

9. GiddyG

Read the 4th FAQ in the second link I gave you...

10. GiddyG

And this is the link to 1013 on the MS site. Took a bit of searching but I got there.

Doesn't look like it has an exam specific to it.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, you said, "if these 2 modules wont give me that then i will have to complete a course that will," which led me to think that you believed a course will give you a certification. I was simply clarifying that no course will give you a certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. GiddyG

No course will give you an MCP. 8)

He'll have got a certificate that said he completed the course = turned up everyday. :D

13. kevineaton77

kevineaton77 New Member

boson, blimey, yup, i guess that is the case, i did write that, so sure, you could think that.

giddy - yup, that would sure be an easy course.

I'll phone MS tomorrow. thanks for your help guys.

14. GiddyG

Easy for you maybe... I know jack **** about SQL Server 2000.

When you say you're going to contact MS, I assume you mean to book the course?

15. kevineaton77

kevineaton77 New Member

giddy - goodnight sweetheart....go play with someone else.

thanks to you all again.

16. GiddyG

Just in case you misunderstood, what I meant was I know nothing about SQL Server 2000. That wasn't a dig at you...

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sometimes you can be too helpful...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD