MCP or A+, Selfstudy or not?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by OLD GIT, Jul 25, 2007.

1. OLD GIT

OLD GIT New Member

Hi all, I am looking at geting training in IT and am looking for advice regarding this.
    I am considering either MCP or A+/Network + to start with and wanted to know wether self study is a realistic option. I have been in contact with some training providers such as Advent and Affordabletraining but am mindful of the fact they may not have my career development as there number one priority.
    Any comments would be gratefully received.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Definitely self-study.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree with the self-study route. And I'd suggest that A+ is the place to start.

And welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with BM, self study gets my vote on this one.

As for certs I would recommend starting with the A+ which is the basics and then go into MCP and Network+

Welcome to the forums btw.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :D

Like what everyone else has said A+ first and self study, its cheaper, you cant get ripped off and you can take as long as you need.

People on here can help with any problems you have so theres no relying on speaking to customer support people from these providers who probably just read from a script or something.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Same here. A+, then Network+, then consider Microsoft or whatever other certs that seem to fit into your educational and career plans. Oh yeah, self-study. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

hi
    I have gone the self study route and thats where my vote is. All you need with it is some enthusiasm, motivation and persiverance.

As for certification route, cant realy say. I know most suggest to start with the A+ but I think it depends on what your current IT skills and where you are going with them. Im pursuing the MCSA certification route as we use microsoft products exrensively at work. I'm also studying N+ to improve networking knowledge but dont plan to take the exams for now.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good Advice:thumbleft

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. OLD GIT

OLD GIT New Member

Thanks to all of u for the advice.:D I have been exposed to the hard sell from a couple of training companies and am very cautious about commiting capital in advance.
    Are there any probs with self study regarding employment?
    (need to sort my avatar out)

10. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I thinks it's postive, my new employer was impressed by effort & self motivation in studying at home.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Interview 1: I took an expensive, structured course from a training provider. I got my certifications extremely quickly - almost too quickly to learn all the material! But I learned enough to pass the exams, and that's what's important. I seem to learn best when in a classroom environment. Does your company pay for training courses?

Interview 2: I learned everything on my own, using books, hardware, and software, in my spare time. It took me a while to get certified, but I learned the material completely before taking the exams, which I passed without any problems. I don't need expensive training courses to learn new material... I can usually find what I need to know by searching online and by reading books. Does your company pay for study guides?

If these two potential employees came to you... all else being equal, which one would you hire?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You don't have to tell prospective employers *how* you got the cert. Just show it to them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Another vote for self study.. i have seen way too many stories of woe over the years, to ever consider any training provider as a viable safe option.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009