MCP + MCDST (XP) or MCST (Vista Configuration)?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Haze, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Hello all, first post!

I’m currently working in administration with a wealth of IT experience but no qualifications to prove it, so I’ve identified courses I want to do to get into an IT support role. I am aiming to move towards an MCSE over time (hopefully within two years) and have no interest in ‘boot camps’ or anything like that, I want to do it properly learning from home.

So I am torn between these two options from Home Learning College which are the same price, as to what will be the best starting point in Microsoft certification:

MCP - Exam 70-271 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-271
    MCDST - Exam 70-272 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-272

OR

MCTS (Vista Configuration) 70-620 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-620

The MCP/MCDST seems to be the most talked about, offers two certificates at the end (in 9-12 months) but the MCTS option uses vista which MAY be more attractive, I don’t know. Obvioulsy this one comes with a single certification. I’m concerned about the fact Windows 7 is on the way (I’ve already pre-ordered this) but it is similar to Vista, so should companies switch to 7 they may be after people certified in Vista? Or would the XP qualifications be just as good? Would the MCDST be attractive to companies using Vista at all?

I’m familiar with Vista as I use it on my main machine and know XP inside out and still run it on my secondary machine so either option is doable for me I’m just trying to make the right first steps.

Also, the courses are £1500 in cost - which can be spread over 24 months interest free which sounds good to me, is this reasonable in terms of tutor supported distance learning?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
    Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  2. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Welcome.

1st point i would say is have you read the sticky to self studying without the financial costs? http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11894

2nd point is why not go for both, do the MSDST then the MCTS and end with the MCSE?

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Firstly, I would do the MCDST. XP is still by far the most used OS in the world (~65%, compared to ~25% for Vista) and, with the economy the way it is, I expect businesses won't be in too much of a rush to upgrade unless they need to. And even then they'll bypass Vista and go straight to W7
    Secondly. With your experience you should be able to knock out the MCDST in no time at all. I have no commercial experience but I did the 70-271 in 6 weeks. I expect to take the same amount of time for the 272 when I figure out a way to pack more than 24 hours into each day. I think the total cost for the 271+272=MCDST will be around £220 for me.
    So, 9-12 months at £1500 or ~3 months at ~£220. The choice seems simple to me.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also recommend the MCDST, because most companies use XP and will continue to do so. XP administration skills will continue to be valuable for quite some time. Plus, you can always upgrade to the Vista and W7 certifications later.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Thanks very much for the advice, in a usual story judging by the things I've read on these pages, I'm cancelling my agreement and taking the self study route. Without resources like these we couldn't discover things like that :biggrin

So are those MCDST books (first published in 2005 from what I see) still 100% current?

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
  6. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Haze,

As far as I am aware they are the latest books (should be 2nd Edition) Book for 70-271 and Book for 70-272

Good luck with your studies!!

7. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Books ordered, I'll be using these forums along the way a fair bit I reckon!

Now for the horrible part of cancelling with Home Learning College... Deliberately obtuse methods of cancelling stuff you've been pushed into always irks me, that's the last time I sign for something on the day that's for sure, no matter what some sheister salesman says to me.

8. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Good luck with the studying, it has taken me a little while to get used to, going to work then coming back and putting our head in a book or two for a few hours. Doesn't make me popular with the girlfriend! But the experience of it is great and will also save you a fair bob in training fees. Hope the college cancellation goes well!

9. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

The process appears to be going well actually, the course is cancelled and I'm just awaiting my deposit refund. Can't complain, sounds a lot better than the horror stories I've read elsewhere!

My books have arrived and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Enjoy the studies. Doing the MCDST first and upgrading to the Vista equivalent one (a single exam will get you both the MCTS and MCITP) is the way to go.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM