MCP here I come!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by derkit, Dec 5, 2007.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Starting to feel pretty OK about the studying I've done over the past 6 months - unfortunately, life gets in the way, but I did spend 2 months off planning our August round Europe-By-Rail trip which was such a wicked holiday that I'll forgive myself :)

Read the MS Press book and Exam Cram 2. Made good notes from the MS press book, decided not to annotate them from the exam cram book - I felt it didn't go into enough detail to really make it worth the effort going through it again. But it did fill the time on the tube each morning and evening (around 6/10 pages per journey depending on how tired I was/hard the material was).

I was having a look through the Sybex book, but I starting to realise that I feel comfortable with this course now, I wouldn't go as far as saying confident, but comfortable. I've spent just under 2 years now in either 1st line or 2nd line desktop support, so I suppose I'm on the money for Microsoft recommendation of experience and I suppose it is pretty accurate as quite a number of the topics that I deal with I knew, and could explain further, but other such topics - like Windows Firewall for example, never touched it, but needed it and so that took some time to drag myself through :)

Anyhow, I thought I'd write some ramblings while I build up, not really to keep you guys informed (you really don't care that much!!!) but just for me to let off some thoughts, calm the nerves, give me something else to think about instead of cramming my head full of stuff and I suppose give others who just peruse these forums a taster of what its like (at least for me).

So enjoy, ignore or just listen - I'm not fussed

8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds like your confident now (that's part of the battle). Just keep on revising and good luck for your exam.

BTW, when in Dec are you planning on taking the exam?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds good :)

Good Luck on the exam :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I sometimes feel when going into an exam I should be "confident". As I said I comfortable now with the subject matter but its just that seed of doubt in my mind.

Also, I hate getting things wrong so I aim for 100%, not in the exam, but as 100% knowledge - if I'm going to have a career in IT I better change that mentality because what is the likelihood of knowing 100% about everything - zero! :oops:

So I suppose a failing on my part about wanting to know it all!! :twisted:

That said, I just completed my first transcender exam this evening with a score of 81%
    Not sure what others think about their experience with the 70-271 transcender versus MS actual exam - whether its hard or not, but it still made me sit there and think quite a bit :D

As to when, I've always said as and when I'm ready - I've set the timetable of December a couple of months ago - a bit more of a date to aim for rather than "I will pass by ....". But I'll probably aim for weeks time or so - this close to Xmas, and my "aim for" date, I might as well give it a shot.

And of course, 2nd chance MS :D

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

81% is a good score the first time through the first exam! :) You're in the theoretical "passing score" range, and you've got two more fresh exams to take, full of unseen questions. Sounds like you're just about ready!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Good luck! It does sound like your just about ready.

7. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Good luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck on the exam!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

You're sounding ready mate, go and nail it !!

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The Transcender for the 271 is definitely harder than the actual exam. Mainly because they have nicked quite a few questions from the 270 which goes into far more depth than the 271 and also features the use of XP in a domain far more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the comments guys - for the first time in about 3 months the computer hasn't been on in the evening after work - I think it was having withdrawl symptoms :)

Spent the last few days reading the sybex book - I'm glad it isn't my only resource as it is very thin on the ground. It gives you a taster of what the syllabus is about but not enough to really immerse yourself with. I've read half the course in 2 evenings (about 5 hours), now that could be me down to being ready, or just perhaps it's not that detailed.

Thanks Mike and Modey for the comments on the transcender - I noticed I had another 2 exams to do with it, and quite a number of questions that I felt could have been slightly above the course (but thankfully within the scope of my job).

Going to spend this afternoon reading the rest of the book, then I'll buy my voucher and even book the exam.... I'm thinking next week sometime (assuming there are any spaces free!)

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think you're ready as you've put in the work and effort, so book the exam and take your time as its over two hours or just about.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I think so to.
    Bought my voucher this afternoon - for reference for anyone $170 is currently £86.13.

Now to find time and place where I can go.....

14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well, just been to my g/f nephew christening this morning and we spent a nice evening together yesterday so probably getting on 24 hours without my head in a book....... so that's what life is :D

Took another transcender test - 74% - not as good, but I've identified some problem areas, mainly:
    - differences between ICF and Windows Firewall
    - effective permissions, NTFS and/or shared
    - answer file names for unattended installs
    - IE security issues like restricted sites etc.

Back to more head-crunching :)

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good luck derkit:biggrin From what i have read above, sounds like your ready for the exam:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Sat the final transcender tonight - 92% - feeling a little more comfortable now, verging on confident... (famous last words!)

Out of the 4 things I didn't know the other night, answer file names, was pressed for time so decided to give it a miss - probably wrong, but I thought learning the others may be more beneficial.
    - ICF/Firewall - understand it better
    - effective perms - understood
    - IE security - read through my notes and seem to have the idea of that also.

So the night before, put another 4 hours in tonight, a little finishing reading tonight and then thats it!
    Work tomorrow from 8am until around 1.30pm - the boss even gave me the afternoon off to take the exam so thats pretty cool - if its quiet I can read the notes on the tube tomorrow morning and possibly during the day.

Hey-hoo, I'll be back tomorrow night..... :D

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck mate :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. daniel_r

daniel_r New Member

Good luck

WIP: MCDST
  20. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Good luck mate, you don't need it, you're sounding well ready.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA