MCP and Job Prospects

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 3, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi guys

I've just been advised that due to my circumstances the Jobcentre will fun the payment for 1 MS exam.

I just have to decide which 1 !

So brief overview for those that haven't read my prev posts :

Had my own IT co which went bust last year (not enough bus coming in). Been in IT for 10 years, employed engineers etc as business grew. Got MBCS and was MS Partner for 7/8 years so done many Partner technical courses etc.

I've got all the MCSE books and have just pulled out the test questions from the cd and gone thru them.

So do I ....

Take 70-270 on Xp cos I know more of that stuff straight off

or ..

take 70-290 'cos the Server exam will look better on CV in terms of knowledge and be the best to get me back into work ?

Bear in mind I've been surviving on benefits for 6 months so time is a big factor.

I reckon I could knock off the Xp in a couple of weeks with what I already know (and I'm only sat at home twiddling my thumbs and trawling jobsites) but would prob need 3/4 weeks for server.

I've got the second shot voucher as a safeguard.

Undecided which way to jump but have to decide by Friday as I have to show them the details for the exam I'm gonna sit.

Thoughts /suggestions ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd got for both if there was that option, but to get MCP status on your CV I'd go for the 70-290 instead.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I'm afraid life is such that it's one or the other (got a big mortgage and under, shall we say, severe financial pressure).

Every day can make a big difference but I'm inclined to think that the server exam would prob make more difference too even if I have to put some additional effort in.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

70-270 mate, take the easier one. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

An MCP is an MCP is an MCP. Take whichever one is more relevant to what you know.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Just out of interest how exactly did you get the jobcentre to fork out the cash, I doubt ill be out of work much longer (famous last words) but would love to reclaim my tax monies of the past 10 years and get as much out of them as possible, funding for an exam would be ideal for me at the moment.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Constantly badgered them at every visit asking if any funds were availbel and told no as I had a degree etc. Then last week I hit 6 months of being unemployed and got assigned a case worker who said they had a discretionary fund at the local office. I pointed out that recruiters were telling me that when they searched my CV they were looking for MCP etc, explained what that meant and that I already had the books for self study. Then today got a call from her saying she had put forward a case for me at their meeting and it was agreed they would fund just one exam.

HTH !

8. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Makes your urine boil really, just because you have a degree, doesn't make the fact that you have fallen on hard times any better.

Easier just to be a jobsworth with no self respect. Rant rant.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well im no fan of the JSA, but I can imagine people there see lots of wasters, but still doesnt give them an excuse to be rude or belittling.

Dont think ill be able to get exam fees, have tried countless times for them to fund driving lessons as it would give me almost a guarantee of a job, but my mooching didnt work.

Oh hum

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

290 seems better since 270 is actually what you can take on anytime moreover you sound as if you already have the xp skills(which is the most important thing) but not on paper. I think you are better off with 290 kind of adds flavour to the accomplishments..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Kev, when you get to 6 mths unemployed you need to ask them about their local discretionary fund. This is where my funding is comig from. I'm told they can even use this to buy someone clothes for an interview so I don't see why driving lessons would be a prob (tho' don't know how many they would fund).

Give 'em some stick !

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Not only that but I have been told I'll have to do a skills assessment which is pitched at about 11+ level (for those that remember that !).

This is despite the fact I can take in O and A level certificates, degree confirmation and numerous professional qualification certs from over the years.

They seem to have a "one size fits all" kinda view with no exceptions allowed - ridiculous !

13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Oh I have all the skills for Xp/Server and can go back to NT4 and Windows 3.11 but no bits of paper to "prove" it.

I think overnight I've pretty much decided to go for 290 and use the second shot voucher to safeguard it. I agree that the Server cert on the CV would probably make the most difference.

14. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Thats pretty cool8). Turns out though that we will sooner or later be needing those "papers" :D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd go for the 70-270.

Why? You have already siad that you feel you know the material.

Whilst having a server cert on your CV may be more appealing chances are that recruiters will be looking for someone who can deal with the client side of things rather than just the server side. With the Client cert it shows that you have the knowledge and skills at that level, not to mention the fact that the 70-270 expects you to know about things such as RIS/WDS, DHCP, etc. These are server side things that are expected to be known by people who support the clients.

A Microsoft Cert is a Microsoft cert, and chances are that it isn't until the empolyer actually gets to see your cv that they will understand what it means. a recruiter will simply see Microsoft Certified, they don't know the in's and out's of the cert.

When the employer see's your cert they'll most likely be looking at your cv which is where all of your other relevant experience will come into play.

8)

16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

See now that was my original thinking too so now I'm being swayed back to that !

Just as a matter of interest - you'd presumably suggest just putting Microsoft Certified Professional on the CV and not noting which exam(s) ?

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd definately put which exams you've passed on, but do it something like this:

Microsoft Certified Professional
    70-270 Win XP (can't remember it's exact title)

That way the attention is drawn to the MCP part first.

18. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh except that if I'm going to do that then I think quoting server rather than Xp would carry more weight (I'm applying for IT manager type jobs).

I'll have to mull it over a bit more methinks and maybe speak to one or two recruiters to get a feel for what they're looking for.

19. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Does one MCP really make that much difference on a CV of someone with many years experience ? :blink

If I was on unemployment with a severe lack of funds I'd be looking at getting back into employment sharpish.

20. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Err, if you saw the efforts I've made over the last 6 months you'd be amazed !

Yes, one MCP can make a difference when you have none.

I won't have an employer reference either as it was my own company which went bust.

There are very few "general" jobs going in my area and my MS Partner technical training is not generally recognised.