MCP (70-290)

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Beany, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Hi,

Currently i'm preparing myself for the exam 70-290(my first exam). I have attended the 2274 course and waiting to attend the 2275 soon.

The books im studying at the moment are: Microsoft Press, ExamCram(70-290) and Windows Server 2003 book (Mark Minasi).

I would just like to know, studying the above books, will it be enough for me to pass the 70-290 exam? It's my first exam and im kinda nervous.

Is this exam 100% multiple choice? any info on this exam will be appreciated!

thanks in advance

2. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Well the exam is 100% multiple choice. We cant really tell you if does books are just enough it really depends on how much hands on experiance you have had.

3. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

thanks for your reply,

I am currently working at the moment and have been working for nearly a year. We have several servers that we must maintain and manage etc etc.. so i do have some hands on experience.

How many questions does the 70-290 exam present?

4. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

About 45, included some simulations.
    For me the Msbook was enough, it include all the topic.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cramsession did a review of the exam, it should answer your questions, number of questions can vary per exam - there is no fix amount, added to this that all professional exams actually come from a pool, so in essence no two exams are the same.

If you've been working with XP (indepth) for a year now, doing the course and got a couple of extra books, try either Transcender or Preplogic's (there are others but I have only used these 2) test sims to gauge how ready you are.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

I've got to say, the examcram book is well interesting. I am using the MSPress for the pratical stuff as i have set up a virtual PC on my development laptop.

7. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Good luck ! Will be ok !

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

thanks...

I better start putting the effort in, been a bit lazy.. :biggrin

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not quite. There are simulations on the 70-290 exam which are not like normal questions at all. If you aren't aware of what these are Beany, you are presented with a scenario like in other questions, but then are asked to perform a specific task in a simulated server environment.

It's also possible to get questions were you are expected to click on the correct option or switch within a dialogue box.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Would it help you to say i studied hard for 3 weeks at 3-4 hours per day (with short internet breaks). I passed the exam in 1hour 20 mins with a score of 842.

and a guy at the same training centre was studying for similar time as me and passed in 1hour 15mins with a score of 910.

its easy if you know what your doing.

a tip with the simulations, if you dont knwo what to do or have a mind blank dont worry. mark it for review write down the qestion number ont eh paper and what its about. its more then likley a question that will come up soon will jog your memory.

and also theres no harm in clicking around in the simulations untill you find what your looking for as the exam marks you on the final outcome not how you got there even though some routs to the solution are blocked (turned off. )

for example you need to check permissions on a shared folder. they might disable computer manager. that was a bad example but you get the idea

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  11. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Thanks for the info...

Ive been practicing with the examcram2 practice exams.... ive not seen any simulation questions though (i think)..

does anyone know any websites that present simulation exam questions?

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is a perfect example of why it doesn't do any good to ask someone how many questions, or what concepts, or what type of items they saw on the exam. One person could get 45 questions, and another could get 55. One person could get all multiple choice, and another could get a bunch of sims. One person could get a bunch of DNS questions, and another could get only a few of them (or none at all).

Worrying about these sort of things is not very productive or useful. Concentrate on gaining a full understanding of the concepts. If you do that, then it doesn't matter if they ask you 10 questions or 100... it doesn't matter if they give you multiple choice questions or simulations... it doesn't matter if they ask you a bunch of Active Directory questions or a few... you'll *still* be able to pass the exam, regardless of what they throw at you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

Got this exam next thursday. it's first exam nerves for me with not knowing what to expect. Got a final week of finishing off and refreshing on bit. Going have a good pratice at the practical stuff over the weekend as well.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT & HNC Business IT
    WIP: MCSA
  14. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on..