MCP 70-270 MeasureUp

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, so I’m going through the MeasureUp tests supplied with the 70-270 MS press pack and this question came up. I won’t copy it word for word but it gives an idea to what the question is about

(Q) Joe Bloggs (a laptop user) is working offline on a Microsoft Access Database and enters 50 new records. He goes into the office in the morning and logs onto the domain. In the afternoon he runs a report and the 50 new records he has entered are not in the database, what has caused this?

(A) Another user has logged on and has overwritten Joe Bloggs copy of the database on the server with his own copy of the database during the synchronisation process.

I thought you couldn’t even make an Access database available offline? According to MS you cant either......

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252509

One of the other possible answers is that “an error will occur when syncronising” which what I would have expected to be the answer.

Anyone else seen any questionable questions (ahem!) in the MeasureUp tests? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Wel - I don't know much about this - but the fact that it was 'offline' (whatever this means here) is enough. The answer makes sense here, but then I have a very low opinion of Access in a multiuser situation.

I suspect what is implied here is that the user has a copy of the .mdb file. He has updated that, but another user has uploaded a different .mdb file.

IMHO Access is crap at this sort of thing.....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky

I think I was being too vague with the Q and A to avoid posting the exact question.

The “answer” basically says the two users *have the shared folder enabled for offline use* and because they have logged on at different times the original database changes (by Joe Bloggs) have been overwritten by the other guy logging on later on in the day.

Not the best question... :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. hbroomhall

Perhaps not the best question. But I don't think this changes my point. Access databases are just simple files. 'Sharing' a file is no different from sharing any other 'normal' file. The last person to update the file completely overwrites what was there before.

Remember - Access is not suitable for this type of work!

Harry.

5. Sparky

Yup, I agree. This reminds me of a client I know that insists in copying a Sage database to her laptop to work on at home. Meanwhile everyone else in the office cannot use Sage until she has come back into the office and copied the database back onto the server. Sometimes she is out of the office for days.

I’ve suggested a VPN connection from home but supposedly it isn’t necessary! :blink

6. hbroomhall

While I am no expert on Sage, I believe they have a proper multi-user version which would work here!

But I know what you mean.... :biggrin

Harry.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Read this and share my pain Sparky! :)

MeasureUp do come up with some dodgy questions now and again that haven't been researched very well. They even have the cheek to site MS documents from where they got their info.

As Harry has mentioned in regard to this particular question, Access can be funny in those circumstances. As soon as I read the question, I thought, 'ignore the fact it's an Access file' and answer it as if it was any kind of file ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada