MCITP: SA Costs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by RagingChicken, Apr 19, 2010.

1. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

Hi,

I honestly didn't think it would be that difficult to find prices for the MCITP: Server Administrator course. Wheres the best place to find prices? I would like to know how much the exams are if I do the self study route and also how much the course is with instructor led classes.

help anyone?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Costs for courses can vary from electronic courses to instructor led, where in the country you are, whether or not it's evening classes or bootcamps..., etc, etc, etc...

Anywhere from £150 to £995 per module.

Then there's the self-study route...

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Microsoft exams are, in general, £88 each.

-Ken

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

I'm from Birmingham. So is there a definite price list anywhere detailing how much the MCITP would cost? I'm not sure whether i'm doing instructor or self study yet.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, there isn't. Costs will even vary between person to person self-studying. There is really no fixed price of studying.

Do you work with the technology?

-Ken

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

thanks for the quick replies. ah thats a shame. Yes I've been working in a server 2003 domain for the last 4 years or so. I recently upgraded the Domain controller to server 2008. I'm aware the MCSE will be valid for the years to come but I think I would benefit from doing the MCITP Server Admin seeing as i'm not up to speed with the technology.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Prices will always vary between Training Providers as well, there is no set standard on prices that people can charge for MS courses.

For example a 7 day condensed course could cost you £3,819, or you could spread it over 16 days for approx £3080, personally speaking I went down the shorter path myself.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some training providers do have price lists, but you'll probably have to call them to find out. Most places don't post price lists on the Web. The price can fluctuate from class to class (and with some TPs, from student to student, if they think they can get you to pay more). Plus, there are usually discounts for buying multiple classes.

All that said... you don't need a training provider. See all those certifications in my sig? Every one was achieved through self-study and/or real-world experience. You can do the same!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certification isn't designed so that you can learn something new... certification is designed to show an employer what you can already do.

I'd recommend you knock out the MCSE on 2003, especially considering 1) you have experience with it and 2) most companies still predominantly use Server 2003. Then, after you get that, you should have built up a bit of 2008 experience so you can tackle the MCITP SA 2008 certification... probably in less time than if you had attacked it first.

One more reason to pursue the MCSE: the MCITP will eventually expire... but the MCSE is for life. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

interesting points. Maybe I should be considering the MCSE afterall. Well do you guys know any reputable training providers that I can query? bearing in mind that advent training have recently gone bust:p

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I very recently had great success with Firebrand Training, others have been to EZE Training. I am not sure if EZE are doing any 2003 training because I can't see anything for it on their site.

Word of warning, some people can't get on with using a Training Provider and will suggest going down the route of self study, that's great if you can find the time to do that but I couldn't, which is why I decided to spend 13 days away from my family and do the studying all in one.

My advice, go for whichever you find easiest.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. RagingChicken

RagingChicken New Member

thanks for the tips guys, I'm sure I'll be more active on this forum once I start studying!