MCITP help

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mjolnir, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mjolnir

mjolnir New Member

Hi, I've just decided to go MCITP after i pass the Comptia Network+ but i am a bit confused....
    There seems to be a lot of different exams and routes and I get lost trying to isolate single routes. From what i understand there are 4 exams to take, once these are passed do i have to send off for my MCITP?
    Could somebody please shed a bit light on the MCITP for me please and also reccomend a path, i have passed the comptia a+ and I'll be takng the network+ very soon.
    I would also like to know of a good book for whatever the first exam would be as i have a friend in the states who can bring me one back for free.

thanks

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

There are 4 different MCITPs.

I'd advise the Desktop Support Technician role, but I'll put down the different ones anyway.

Support Technician role:
    Becoming a Enterprise Desktop Support Technician in Windows 7
    Exams: 70-680 & 70-685

Becoming an Enterprise Desktop Administrator Windows 7
    Exams: 70-680 & 70-686

Server 2008 Administrator:
    Becoming a Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator
    Exams: 70-640 & 70-642 & 70-643 & 70-647 & a few more

Becoming a Server 2008 Administrator
    Exams: 70-640 & 70-642 & 70-646

Here is a link from Technet as the Microsoft Learning Map.
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9758249

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. mjolnir

mjolnir New Member

thanks for your reply, i think it will be between server and the one you mentioned but what kind of time period on average does it take to complete? know everyone will be different but just on average perhaps

thanks again

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Well it depends on your experience and time to spend on it. I would say at least a month per exam - but I'm sure plenty of people have done it faster...

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. mjolnir

mjolnir New Member

excellent i was getting a bit bummed thinking it might take years, so it-s not overly difficult then

thanks

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Can vary on lots of things - Phoenix has just completed this set (I believe) or at least 7 exams over a couple of months period - but he has extensive knowledge of the areas already.

I'm on for about 3 exams per year - but that is work as well as life dependant - it depends on what your current level of knowledge is, how much you use each part of the each sylabus at work, how much time it'll take to absorb the naunces.

I agree with Boffy a month is do-able but for me you'd need to have been using Win 7 etc. extensively for a while to only need to pick up the naunces.

Good luck whatever you decide though!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293