MCITP:EA & CCNA

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by S0l5, Mar 8, 2008.

1. S0l5

S0l5 Bit Poster

Hello, at the moment i'm in the processing of upgrading my MCSE 2003 to MCITP: EA. I'm currently studying the 70-620 (windows vista). Can someone correct me if im wrong but you need to set the following exams to be able to upgrade:

Exam 70-647
    Exam 70-620
    Exam 70-648

I'v booked the 70-620 for the 22nd of march and at the moment i havent even opened the book yet, going to try and fit in two weeks of cram session 4-5 hours on the weekends and 2-3 hours every day, doesnt really matter if i fail or not thanks to microsofts 2nd shot offer!!! Also i'll be starting a new job in march as well with an international telecommunication company and they want me to do the CCNA. I havent really looked at the CCNA before but im confused, is there two version? The network academy and another one, iv forgotten the other one. What books would you recommend? I'm hoping to do it in 2 months tops really.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, not 70-648. That's the MCSA upgrade exam. You need 70-649.

Why don't you use the Certification Planner on the MCP site?

No, there's not two versions... but you can take either one exam (640-802) or two separate exams (640-822 and 640-816) to get your CCNA. Neither the one-exam track or the two-exam track relate to whether you take Network Academy or not. Network Academy is just a training program that you can take to study for the CCNA.

The choice to take the single exam or two separate exams is entirely up to you.

For Cisco exams, I usually recommend Cisco Press and Sybex books. But 2 months? How much real world IT experience do you have? If you've worked with Cisco gear before, it might be possible...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. S0l5

S0l5 Bit Poster

Thanks Boson thats a good point about the certification planner!!! Thanks for reminding me. Well i'v been working in IT for the past 3 years but at the moment i have 0 cisco experiance, my new employee wants me to get the CCNA so i'm assuming ill be using cisco equipment alot. So there is no difference if you take the 640-802 or the 640-822 and 640-816 at all? Both exactly the same material? I'm assuming the 640-802 would be a tad bit easier as it would technically have less questions being one paper right? By the looks of it i think i might end up sitting two papers.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Both exam route use the same material. Another difference of going the 1 exam or 2 exam route is if you do the 1 exam route you get the CCNA, if you do the 2 exam route you get the CCENT & the CCNA. Please do not assume that the 1 exam route is easier than the 2 exam route, take for example the Microsoft upgrade exams (like the 70-621, 70-292, 70-296) which encompasses multiple exams - they may have less questions overall, but they are just as hard.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. S0l5

S0l5 Bit Poster

thank you, thats excellent can anyone recommend any books at all? Sybex or Cisco Press?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ken is spot-on accurate. There's less information to consume at one sitting when taking the two-exam track, AND you get an extra certification.

It's great that you'll likely be working with Cisco gear in the future... but understand that it will probably be quite difficult to get your CCNA within two months without any hands-on experience. The exam contains simulations that will be difficult to answer correctly unless you've had practice with a router or a router simulator.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Sounds like both sets will help you in this case!

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia