MCDST?!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Blessingboi, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Blessingboi

Blessingboi New Member

Hi All,
    I'm looking to go into the IT Profession, as I currently work in Payroll & Pensions. I believe I have a decent amount of computer knowledge, but of course you need your qualifications and certificates to get into IT. Now, I don't know whether or not to go in MCDST or this A+ I've seen up and around CF. Is it worthwhile? Or Does the MCDST course cover over that anyways? Like I said, I do have basic knowledge of a computer, but is it worth me throwing money at an exam when I could just go straight into the MCDST.

Thanks.

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It might be worth reading around the forums a bit more matey. Here's a link to someone who was in a similar position:- http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25864

Suffice it to say - the A+ and the MCDST are different types of exams. A+ is vendor neutral and more computer basics/hardware focused, whereas the MCDST (which is actually two exams, 70-271 and 70-272) are far more software focused (and aimed at Microsoft obviously).

The best advice I can offer is to get both. You say you have computer knowledge, but where is this from? Are you wanting to go for a specific aspect of IT? Programming? Helpdesk? etc etc

Let us know, and if you have any specific questions then we'll be happy to help.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Blessingboi

Blessingboi New Member

I was looking to going in to Helpdesk Support to start with, and then hopefully with that experience go into Systems Administration.

I imagine the MCDST would be more appropriate to go in Helpdesk Support with wouldn't it?

4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What he said...

It's always better to have hardware and software skills.

5. Qs

That depends. Helpdesk support can throw both hardware and software faults at you.

Obviously real world experience in a helpdesk role is the best bet, but as far as qualifications go, you'll be wanting to aim to obtain the following (preferably in this order too, depending on your current level of knowledge):-

CompTia's A+ - http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx
    CompTia's N+ - http://certification.comptia.org/network/
    MCDST - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx

More information on these can be found using the aforementioned links, else search the forum especially with regards to study material etc.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said. Do both.

Besides, the A+ covers hardware AND OS issues, so don't underestimate it's usefulness or coverage. It'll serve you well as a helpdesk tech, and is *the* foundation upon which your skillset should be built.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Hi

I can certainly vouch for the value of doing the A+, N+ and then tackling the MCDST.

LIke you I felt I knew a fair amount about computers before doning the A+ and N+ but the two serve to fill in any blanks and help give (in my case at least) a more rounded knowlege, in fact in some cases I knew more about the "basics" than the people who had almost ten years of professional experience!!!! :ohmy

Flicking through the MS press book for the 271 exam it does seem that A+ and N+ material is in there but I don't think that the MCDST is any substitute whatsoever for actually doing those exams.

Put plainly I was in exactly the same position as you are now, wanting to get into IT as quickly as I could. The MCDST may get you a job quicker but I'm very glad I followed the general advice on this forum of A+ -> N+ -> MCDST and would advise that others do the same :biggrin

Note : I also got my first IT job on the strength of the A+

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

It is certainly worth doing the A+. It doesn't cost an awful lot and there are plenty of materials available for it. I've noticed that some of the material I covered in the A+ is in the N+ (which is what I'm doing now).
    I've started looking at the MCDST objectives (doing that after) and can see a lot in there I either already know or I've gained from the A+.

You will gain a solid base of hardware/networking doing the two Comptia courses- which, with the MCDST will make you a great Desktop Technician!

9. Blessingboi

Blessingboi New Member

Out of interest, what job did you obtain once you got the A+?

10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Bah. I had no IT qualifications (not even a standard grade computing) when I got into IT. And I dont have much more now (I dont really count ITIL as a proper IT certification).

If you want to get into IT, start looking now. Certainly nothing wrong with studying for a cert to bolster your knowledge, but no point waiting to get it before you start looking for helpdesk work.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I also had no IT certifications before I got into IT. I had 18 years of "messing with computers", and 6 years of being the, "Hey, fix this" computer guy around the office (even though my job title was Operations Analyst, doing staffing and productivity and budget analyses for a telecommunications company).

Fergal's right: start looking now. If you get a cert, add it to your CV and keep looking (and studying!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I had no IT expereince either. I didn't even have a PC at home, from memory. I had a mate who needed to take a week or so off, rather than a day at a time, but he had no one to support him. I offered to do his backups on the QT, but got caught and had to make a choice between writing training material and doing IT.

I never looked back... :D

13. Qs

Just to jump on the band-wagon...

I had no previous experience/qualifications either prior to getting my first (and current) IT job.

I'm sure there's a thread with all of these stories in, but hell I'm too lazy to find and link it. :p

Qs

14. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

I was very lucky and got a IT support job almost straight away. It basically invovled supporting an office of about fifty people all running XP. It was real hands on stuff and was a perfect introduction to IT. The reason I mentioned that I only had the A+ was that the IT manager later told me he would'nt have hired me without it. Dont get me wrong, I don't think he'd ever heard of it but I think it was the fact that I'd studied of my own back ( and out of my own funds ) to get it and showed some level of genuine interest.

15. Blessingboi

Blessingboi New Member

Sounds like a fantastic way you go into IT. How much was that job paying if you don't mind me asking. I'm worried about having to take some sort of salary cut if I was to go into IT at entry-level with one or no qualifications.

Note: I currently earn £18,000 PA

16. Qs

You more than likely will have to take a pay cut. Starting wages in IT are approx £15k ish.

But in saying that, £18k is way too much for a 19 year old anyway :wink:

Out of sheer curiosity, what do you currently do to earn that sort of money?

Qs

17. Blessingboi

Blessingboi New Member

Lol is it? I choose to delve right into the working enviroment as soon as I left school, and haven't regretted it since. I work as a Payroll & Pensions administrator for Which? Magazine.

18. Qs

Obviously the starting wage is subject to a lot of factors... a lot of which are totally out of your control.

Here is a link to a poll a while ago which shows average current earnings for forum members: - Link

There's a similar poll for starting wages, but I can't find that atm.

Here's a thread with some info which may be useful to you though - Link

Still, you've got to expect to drop a bit if you're going to be re-training, right?

Qs

19. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Not sure how much use it'll be to you becaue I live in the euro zone and am bilingual which obviously had an effect on my salary. I was on about 22k a year but that was in an area known to have far better wages than average. I was expecting ( and wiling although I certainly didn't mention that) to work for far less just to get some experience on the board.