MCDST Study Problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lynamcool, Aug 1, 2009.

1. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

this really gets me down :(

i have read the ms press 70-271 and 272 books and have started watching the CBT Training videos and i seem to understand what is written but always get caught out on questions i should be getting right in practice exams mainly tcp/ip questions on dns problems ect

whenever i do a practice exam from the readiness review suite i always get disappointing marks but on a full objective review exam (all the objectives in one go) i get a pass mark around 70-90%

can anyone tell me if i have studied wrong or how i should be studying?

how did everyone else study for this exam?

thanks

WIP: MCDST
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

If i remember correctly the objective review is not a practice exam the questions are far easier than the actual questions.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

so the practice exam questions are much harder?

any idea if they ask questions on UDF Files

e.g

answer file
    [unattended]
    targetpath=windows
    [GUIUnattended]
    AdminPassword=pAs$w0rD04

UDF
    [Unattended]
    Targetpath=WINNT

based on the answer file and the UDF what will happen during the installation process for the computers in the department (choose all that apply)

will try and find the other one like this but much harder though

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

well if i remember if something is in the answer file and the same thing is in the UDF then the UDF version will count.

so that example windows XP will be installed in WINNT

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Don't worry too much; we all have weak areas. Your objective is to pass the exams not to get 100%. Use your practice exams to identify your weaknesses (as you have done), and re-study those areas, but I wouldn't worry too much if you're consistently passing your practice exams. The biggest danger when worrying like this is to be put off taking the exam at all.

Certifications: ITIL v.3, MCDST, CompTIA A+, Network+
    WIP: Scratching my head in frustration
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The main difference is that the objective review questions tend to only test one particular piece of knowledge but the practice exam, like the real thing, quite often requires you to pull two or more pieces of knowledge together.
    I had the same problem, so you're not studying wrong, just not enough yet.
    Look for key words or phrases in the exam questions. If it mentions XP home you can be fairly certain the answer lies in the difference between Home and Pro, if it mentions there's only e.g. 10 users you can assume it's a workgroup environment unless it specifies a domain environment etc.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

The readiness review suite is also more difficult than the actual exam- or at least I thought it was.
    The best thing to do though is obviously brush up on anything you got wrong :)

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

OK TCP and DNS

In the exams it normally comes down to some of the following

Connection problems

If no one can connect to the server check its there, check DHCP server.
    If only one cannot connect check physical connections, check IP settings if 169.198.x.x then APIPA and the machine is not seeing the DHCP server.
    Machine is on the wrong subnet to talk to others (even if they are in the same room)
    If no Machines can get to the internet but all is working internally check the gateway settings.

DNS Issues
    If machine A cannot ping server1 by name but can by IP address then it is a DNS issue, check the local machine settings. If it affects more then one client check the DNS server.

Get used to questions like this as they are your bread and butter - both in the real world in the exam
    Good Luck.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I thought the practice exams were more difficult than the real thing too.

I found it useful to concentrate on one domain at a time. You really need to be hitting close to 100% on the objective review questions for each domain before you have much of a chance of passing the practice exams.
    Also, the practice exams contain numerous mistakes. I estimate around 5% which is on average 2-3 questions in a standard 45 question practice exam.

10. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

thanks so much for the replies, starting to realise what i need to do :)

anything you can recommend me to study and if you could give me a few more examples of exam questions that would really help (as some say the practice test is harder)

before i finish do these type of questions appear in the real exam....(ones where you have to move the correct answers from one box to the other

Removed (to be on the safe side of CI ;)

the first question regards user profile and desktop configurations and what steps in the correct order user1 needs to take so he can copy his profile so user2 benefits from the desktop configuration of user 1

2. [​IMG]

question 2 is regarding you creating answer files and udf files and what settings will be used,you need to move the correct answers from the right box to the left one

where can i find a really good explanation on udf files :blink?

thanks

11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

1) Yes, they're are questions like that in the exam. I didn't have much, you might get lots.
    2) Don't get hung up on UDF. Pretty much the only thing you need to know really is that if it's in the UDF, it's the setting that's used instead of any default or previously configured value.
    I had kittens over this as well.
    I noticed there was one question in the MSPress CD about the syntax in a UDF (i.e. a completely botched text editor edit). I don't understand why that question is there, it's outwith the scope of an inexperienced tech imo.

12. Gingerdave

In my last MS exam (272) I had about 4 or 5 questions in that format, which to be honest I quite like as it lays the questions out like I remember it - in steps.

As said I wouldnt get to hung up on the UDF things - but make sure your networking bits are up to scratch.

Good Luck.

13. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

is there any virtual labs where you can fix networking problems? i think if i saw it in practice i would remember it better :biggrin

14. Gingerdave

Not that I am aware of, you can create it with a couple of PCS or using virtual PC from Microsoft.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Blurring the image doesn't protect you from copyright infringement... particularly when we can still read the text...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

I have the same problem too, i seem to undestand everything the book says but when doing the Trasnscender practice questions i get 50% scores...are the exam questions similar to the Transcender ones? I think i might have underestimated the MCDST tbh...:(

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
  17. Gingerdave

Transcender, like other good prep software ask you questions that are generally harder then the ones found in the actual exam. are you making sure that you review your wrong answers at the end of the exams? If so which bits are you struggling with? Why not open a new thread about this bits you are stuck on?

18. Adrian.Popescu

You're right...This is what i'm doing at the moment: Reading the book again in depth, bullet pointing everything that is important to remember and understand. I've only done 2 practice exams out of 5, so i have 3 that i have no idea about the questions. I'm keeping these last so i can really test my knowledge before the exam. Maybe i will take one more after reading the book and i will post anything that isn't clear. :) This forum really helps...turns me from a convinced pessimist to a true optimist :D

Thank's.

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Transcender are a little naughty I have found. They tend to nick questions from other exams that may be relavant to your current one, but sometimes are much more in depth and would require far more knowledge than is necessary for say the MCDST.

So as an example, you will get questions from the 70-270 on the 271 question suite. The 270 is MUCH more in depth than the 271 and require a much deeper understanding of the subject matter. You may well see a question and think WTF I haven't studied this!! :)

They did that with the 290/291 as well if I recall correctly. I think this is why people find Transcender exams more difficult than the actual MS exam when all said and done. I have found this to be the case for all the MS exams I have done thus far.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. Adrian.Popescu

That's my exact reaction Modey. WTF when did i study this:blink. Thank's for telling me that, it helps to know that at least maybe i know a bit more than what the exam is telling me. I'm reading everything again anyway, not taking any chapter for granted. What other exam prep questions should i use? Are the Boson ones any good? Thank's.