MCDST study can it be done using textbooks alone

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jamie 1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi everybody,

I've just joined so hello and I'm new to IT. Iwant to do the MCDST certification to break into IT.I've looked for courses but they all seem to be distance learning courses. Is it possible to study this via distance learning or could you do it on your own using textbooks. Also are there any recommended text books for this course. Because I would have thought that you really needed to be getting practical experience actually going through each lesson on a computer to be really able to understand the MCDST and pass it. But then again I could be wrong. It would be really great if anyone would help. All advice from all you knowledgeable people would be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.

Jamie.

2. Solkazo

Solkazo Bit Poster

Ofcause, any exam can be done with pure text book it simply depends on your learning style.

I read text books regularly but always find i retain information alot better when i am watching someone else do it or pracicing on a home labs set up.
    You can ofcause get your self a free copy of a virtual machine and practice on that (saves you having to spend money on additional computers and equipment for a home lab).

Certifications: HND Computing and Business
    WIP: Exam 70-680
  3. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Hi Jamie,

You've not long left to pass the required exams before they retire so whatever you do you need to action it quickly. Distance learning courses are a complete rip-off, you'll gain nothing what you can't do at home and utilizing forums such as this one with any questions.

I haven't done these exams so I'll leave it to others to recommend study guides etc. Nevertheless, quality study guides, video training material (such as CBT nuggets) and a professional exam suite (Boson/Transcender) should set you up nicely for the live exam (along with hands on lab work of course).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi,thanks for the advice. Are you saying distance learning is not a good idea. Although the courses are cheap about £440 pounds from ICS home learning and other providers. Whats a boson/ transcender?. Please excuse my ignorance.Thanks again for the advice.

5. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi, Thanks for the advice. It really is warmly appreciated. Would you be able to recommend any good text books for the MCDST. What do you think about distance learning? since Instructor led classes are very expensive. I mean don't you need to get experience actually doing the exercises on the computer. How would you be able to that through distance learning? It would be just you and textbooks wouldn't it?

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You could buy a book, use free online resources, buy some quality practice exams (e.g. Transcender) and pay for both exams for about £270. I assume the £440 price doesn't include exam costs either, which would bring the cost up to £620. I don't know what they're offering that makes it worth paying an extra £350 but I'd want it gold-plated at that price.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Hi Jamie,

Boson/Transcender are pro exam suites, the review suite which comes with the MS Press Books should be sufficient enough for you to pass the exams, though be wary of typos in the MS ones.

It depends on how much you have to spend, but if you think ICS is cheap you should probably think about getting the pro exam suites.

ICS is a rip-off and as everything else ethernet0 has said reigns true - Repped.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

You have roughly 5 months to do both exam books which isnt that tough a task and will depend on your current XP knowledge. I think you should be fine with the Microsoft training kits which are roughly £30 each and the there is a link to get vouchers on this site for £44 each.

Something like CBT nuggets would also be handy but you could just use the books and also a pc you dont mind messing about with aswell although there isnt a great deal of messing about on the computer.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  9. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

Hi jamie, sorry skimmed other posts quick so may be re-posting some info.

I would recommend you self study, get the matarial you need to study for yourself, (a long distance training provider will prabably give you something simarlar and bump on a couple of hundred quid). I just had a quick look at CBT nugget site and the MCDST nugget package is $249 which is about £155.

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/certification

This is a great set of video's, i would recommend CBT Nuggets as well as a text book(s). Most people recommend the MS Self paced training kit. quick search of amazon (i didn't check the editions but this is what you need) totals £68

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Installing-...Training-Package/dp/0735621527/ref=pd_sim_b_1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-Paced-Training-Troubleshooting-Pro-Certification/dp/0735622272

When i did this i just played with the settings on my existing computer running XP.

So total cost of the study matarials £223.
    For me this is the way forward, you can get all the support you need from this forum (it has served me great so far)

Exam costs will be on top of this, but usually with the training provider they also don't include the exam so that would be an additional cost any way

Good luck mate, hope this helps you decide what to do

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  10. spectreman

spectreman New Member

I got all the gear from Home Learning College and it cost me about £1200 a few years ago. Although it appears to be much cheaper now, £1200 is a lot of wonga. However, at least all my official MCDST exams are paid for. Just need to sit the internal tests (which are quite good) and go to one of the test centres when I am ready (before June retirement of the exams obviously).

11. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

That is alot compared with 2 exams for £88 using a link on here an then £30-£35 for each book. I hope thay have given you good support and materials.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  12. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Using textbooks alone is definitely doable. If you know XP fairly well for general usage and tasks, it will help enormously.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

The MS press books have exercises in them so you can practice doing stuff that may be in the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?