MCDST - Salary Expectations?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ryan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Hi There

Pretty soon im hoping to pass my MCDST

I'm 20 and currently have 4 years experience as a desktop support technician plus some basic qualifications such as E.C.D.L etc

I also have an NVQ Level 3 in Business administration (which i think qualifies my to supervise people)

With this in mind, what sort of salary can i expect for my next job? (currently working as an ICT Technician in a primary school)

At the min I'm on about 16,000 but thats pro rata and after my holidays it works out at about 13,000

Obviously im hoping for a little more with my next job but im not sure what to expect?

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you have no experience it could be about 14k some people get lucky and get more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

I've got 4 years experience, im hoping for something around the 18-20k mark, if i can't get that with desktop support, what do i need to do................... 2nd / 3rd line support?

Bored of having no money left at the end of the month, its causing me to really loose motivation at work

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if have 4 years experience in some sort of support work then 18k-20k in 2nd line sounds ok

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

ok cheers for that, didnt want to set my sights too high you see

:)

6. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Dont know if this will work, but i went on that site, filled in all the details and it came up with this

[​IMG]

Which makes about as much sense to me as non-stick sellotape :blink

8. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

looks like you're just about average.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would take that with a pinch of salt, remember like any salary calculator it's not an exact science.

According to Payscales, I should be on approx: £29,022 (within a range of £23k - £38k), but because of the industry I'm currently in I fall below the "minimum" range for my job title.

-Ken

Attached Files:

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would check out job sites such as reed.co.uk, and more (sorry dont have my job site list of links at work) to find local jobs and how much you should expect to be paid.

Just a quick question, how did you get 4 years experience if you have been to college? Or did you do night school.

Also the joke re NVQ is Not Very Qualified, so im hoping you are not placing too much hope with that qualification.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That really depends on the NVQ Level and not the NVQ program itself. Remember:

Level 1 is below GCSE level
    Level 2 is GCSE level
    Level 3 is A level
    Level 4 is HNC/HND level &
    Level 5 is Degree level

Plus NVQ are vocational and not academic.

It also is subject specific so the NVQ should relate to the work your in.

See here for the NQF.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

As soon as i left school i went into an apprenticeship as an ICT Technician, i did this for 2 years and gained an NVQ level 3 in business administration, E.C.D.L and an ICT Practicioners cert

to be honest i wish id have done some different qualifications because they've not really helped me much in the way of proffessional IT

I got my current job because of my experience, so i guess i need some qualifications now to back it all up

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I (and a lot of others) view NVQs (level 3) to be basically designed as a pathway to university.

I just think that its unrealistic for a 20 year old to be managing other people, especially when it is likely they havent had that much real life business experience, and also it is highly probable there will be more experienced people there.

Not knocking the guy i wish him luck.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  14. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well if anything it shows you are willing to learn and apply yourself, so try to emphasise that in interviews.

Also good luck and try to get that MCDST asap (preferably before you go for interviews) as it again shows willingness to learn, but also certifies what you have learned (more to the employer).