MCDST questions. Please help!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Stuka, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hi guys, I wonder if you can clear some questions up that I have.

1. I'm A+ & N+ certified. I'm starting to turn my attentions to the MCDST cert. Now, I'm a little confused, if I pass the MCDST exam, does that make my MCP certified? Is MCDST considered an MCP? Or is an MCP an independant exam and a qualification that stands on its own?

2. Is the current MCDST cert still based on XP? Or is it based on Vista?

3. Is the MCDST exam still 70-270? Or has it changed?

4. Are there any prerequisites for the MCDST cert? Or is a good knowledge of XP needed?

Thanks all.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

MCDST is based on 271 and 272, they're both about troubleshooting windows XP, You acuire an MCP if you pass one or the other. Thus getting two MCP's if you pass both, passing both will give you the MCDST overall. 270 is 'Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional' you would take that if you had your MCDST and wanted to work towards your MCSA.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  3. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks for the info Revolate. I have the Microsoft "Windows XP Professional Installing, Configuring & Administratering Microsoft" book (2nd edition). I was under the impression that thats all I would need to pass the MCDST.

So, begs the question, which is the best book to buy to study for the MCDST?

Thanks

4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

You dont have to do the MCDST certifications but it is the natural progress for alot of people. It sounds like you have got the books from a TP as it seems you have the books some would provide for a MCSA course.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Take a look at one of the pinned threads at the top of this forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the MS press books 70-271 and 70-272 would be a good start.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

So the MS published books would be the best to get for the MCDST? I'll check them out.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A MCP stands for Microsoft Certified Professional, to gain this credential all you have to do is pass one of Microsoft qualifying exams. The MCDST is the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician, the MCDST is made up of the 70-271 & the 70-272 which both qualifies for the MCP status. So by passing the MCDST, you gain both the MCP and the MCDST.

Yes the MCDST is based on XP, the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician and the MCITP: Consumer Support Technician are based on Vista.

No, the MCDST was always made up of the 70-271 & 70-272, it was never the 70-270.

Good knowing/experience of XP is needed, having the A+ and the Network both helps and compliments the MCDST.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks for the informative replies, Ken.

Sorry for the belated response. I've been having a good long hard think about the MCDST course. Now, my problem is that I'm currently working with servers at my place of work, but I don't have a solid understanding of servers (although I can interactive with them and I know the fundamentals).

The other IT tech as work (whose clued up on servers) suggested that the MCDST course would be a good cert to start with if I want to pursue a server-oriented career.

Do you think the MCDST is a good starting point? Since I already have my A+ and N+ ? Or are there any other MS certs I should be looking at (MCSA/MCSE) which'll be more relevant to my aspirations?

Regards,
    Jon.

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Unless you are short on time, I mean short on years, then I'd say it is worth doing the MCDST.

MCSA is probably about your level if you are starting to play with servers - it will teach you a thing or two, but it will also give you a chance to understand what the other server techs are talking about, and eventually you'll be able to contribute ideas to a discussion also.

The MCSA is made up of a minimum of 4 exams, 1 elective - which is A+/N+ or MCDST or some others - so the amount of time it will take you to study could be a year or so (if you work hard etc.) or may be less if you have extensive experience which by the sounds of it you don't .

MCDST and MCSA, for me, would be a good 12-18 months of study. Think of what you'll learn at work in the next 6 months whilst doing the MCDST - by the time you reach the next course for the MCSA you'll have more knowledge.

Don't run before you can walk - there's plenty of time!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks for the info, Derkit. I really appreciate it.

I think what I'll do for now is the MCDST. It sounds like a good starting point. Then I'll turn my attention to the MCSA once I've passed the MCDST.

My only fear of the MCDST is that I'm not 100% sure its worth doing, especially with the rise of Windows 7. I just don't want to do 6 months worth of studying, only to find that the MCDST was a waste of time.

So you definately think the MCDST is my best bet?

12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Only you will know whether it is worth your while or not - I'm in the same quandry over after completing my MCSA - do I upgrade to Vista Desktop, or go straight for 7 Desktop - that decision I don't need to make yet! But it is still a question I can only answer myself.

Unless you are never going to touch a desktop again, I would do it. If it takes you 6 months of studying to pass the 2 exams, then there was obviously things you didn't know, and are now the better for knowing them. If you know the material anyway, it'll be a lot less time used.

Nothing is a waste of time, you just need to think how it can benefit you best - not just today, but for the future also.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Agreed, for example I have recently passed MCDST with a score of about 850 on each, currently studying towards 270 but also re-reading the 271/272 books as they are like the beginning bricks of a house as such and everything else builds upon the knowledge you have from them. Also I have two pc's one virtually and one physically running windows 7 I was advised to do this. From my point of view its easier to mvoe straight to 7 and then work out the changes between 7 and Xp and you will know somewhere between them lies vista :D with many bugs lol! I have also had Vista but find Vista easier to learn once you have played with 7 :twisted: anyway hope it goes well for you derkit and stuka.
    Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  14. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Well, I've made my mind up, I'm going to crack on with the MCDST cert.

I've currently got Windows 7 64bit running on two of my machines, I have XP on my laptop, and I have Server 2003 running through VMWARE (in a team with XP clients).

I know quite a bit about XP, as I've worked with it as an IT tech for about 3 years now.

Big thanks to you Derkit, and you Dave for the inspiring comments.

One more question. I've noticed a lot of talk regarding MS certs that focus on the latest OS (I believe the latest MS course is now built around Windows 7), is there such a course? From what I can gather, a lot of people tend to do it after completing their MCDST. I might be wrong, though.

15. beaumontdvd

No worries mate, all the hard work will pay off. Yes, that's what I'm thinking of doing. Its the upgrade exam for the mcdst that in based on windows 7. I cant remember the exam number but I have seen It lying about on a thread. I think the certificate is mctip? Or something like that. But I advise doing that exam as it basically skips from Vista straight to 7 and bases it on your mcdst.

EDIT: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread37553.html There you go mate have a look at that. Normally I think the windows 7 qualification is two exams but if you upgrade from the mcdst I think you can take one single upgrade exam. (Weird I know)
    Regards,

Dave

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Cheers Dave!

Good luck with your next cert btw.

17. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

70-620 covers Windows Vista, you then have the additional Vista exams in the 622 (MCITP: Enterprise Support) and the 623 (MCITP: Consumer Support). You also have the 70-680, which covers Windows 7.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  18. beaumontdvd

No worries mate, glad I can help. Good luck to man!

Dave