MCDST query

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by cjd, Aug 19, 2007.

1. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

Hi all,

I was studying for the 270 exam but have decided recently to do the 271 exam. I have the 270 books from sybex/MS and also the exam cram book. But is it fair to say that I won't need to buy the books for 271?

Certifications: HND, A+, Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was looking into doing MCDST my self, but I do find some different topics covered in the 271. I think that Unless you know your stuff well in regards to desktop support, the 271 book would be a good thing to have.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I have MS Press 271 book & Exam Cram for the same, you can have them for £15 + P&P.

I've used the voucher & CD's but if you are on a budget.
    The XP CD might still let you activate it otherwise you will have to ring MS.

I've got the same for 70-272, you could have those as well for the same sum when I done with them.

P&P will be about £8.00 as they are a bit heavy!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

thanks, I've looked at the 271 (in the bookstore) and compared it to the 270 book's I have. but can't seem to see any difference? has anyone used the 270 as their preparation for the 271 exam?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, you need the books for 271... although it's the same OS, 270 and 271 test on different aspects of the OS.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

yeah i noticed that the objectives for the 271 are different. but could i simply study for those in the 270 book minus the extra objectives for 270?

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I haven’t done the MCDST cert but I have looked through the MS Press books for it. There was some areas covered (such as Outlook Express) that don’t feature in the 70-270 Press book.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael

No... the concepts covered by 271 are different from the concepts covered by 270. 70-270 isn't a combination of 70-271 and 70-272... they're completely different. Same OS... but different aspects of study, covering different concepts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

what books for the 271 exam does anyone recommend?

10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Finish and pass 270 then move onto 271.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. BosonMichael

Actually, 271 is easier than 270. It's not a bad idea to do 271 and 272, then hit 270.

CJD, although I haven't personally used any books for 70-271, I usually recommend Microsoft Press and Sybex for Microsoft exams.

12. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

yeah thanks for your advice, I took a good look at the MS book for the 271 and it does go over concepts differently from the 270 book I have. Are there 2 sets of exams with the MS book when you install it?

13. BosonMichael

No idea. Check MSPress's site, or perhaps Amazon... maybe it says something there.

14. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

The Ms press books each come with exam tests by Measure up
    and the 271 book has a 6 month Trial of XP

The Ms press 272 Book has Measure up questions and a 180 day trial of Office 2003.

These are specifically designed for the MCDST qualification
    (271+272)

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK