MCDST over MCITP

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by alexdc12, Apr 1, 2011.

1. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

is there any advantage of trying to cram in for the mcdst over the mcitp?? Id like to think i could do it by july but would it start coming obsolete due to the mcitp??

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Different technologies, different skills.
    You're comparing apples to oranges there.

The only time a cert will be obsolete is when the technology it certifies is no longer used. XP is still very much alive and kicking.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

true! i worded that wrong! i meant will people start moving over to 7. but i can see it was a bit of a stupid question now so its prob def worth doing if i can cram it all in! better pass my N+ tomorrow really

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

People will, people are.
    I suspect most of the statistics regarding OS usage are skewed in favour of W7 because it's been difficult to get XP on domestic sysems since it's release. In the business world XP is still king. This place will fall apart when they move away from XP because they've spent most of the past decade building apps which work on XP specifically.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

My company has targetted the end of may for the whole of our region to have 95% of machines onto windows 7 (about 4,000 machines)

XP is slowly being phased out here, except for users who require apps which only run on it

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Alex ,good luck on your exam buddy.Fingers crossed for you mate.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  7. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

cheers just dong some last minute revision :D

8. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

The thing to remember is that a lot of smaller organisations are not in a position to upgrade to windows 7. XP does what they require and they don't have a compelling reason to upgrade unless they have the money to do so. Larger organisations are more likely to keep up with the latest and greatest, but in the smaller environments there are no standards. They will keep running what works for them until it literally breaks down or is no longer supported. The MCDST will only be an asset to you in the long run... my opinion anyway. The MCITP will be around for a while, so you might as well get the MCDST while you still can.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Im questioning myself as to if i will be able to complete it in time, i have no proper job at the minute just doing stuff here and there to pay the bills so finding the money for the exams wont be a dead cert, plus i have two kids which doesnt help to get "quiet time" lol
    I would really like to do the mcdst but seeing as i've hardly used xp do you think its doable? i was always a win2k man! and then i had a while without a computer and when i got one back been using vista/7

10. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

In your situation, it might not be so good to take on the MCDST with such little time left. If you have not used the OS before then it will be difficult to get a hold on it for the exam if your study time is not very generous at the moment. The MCITP might be better considering that you will have much more time to prepare for it. It's up to you if you feel that you want/are able to take on the challenge. But regardless, I would HIGHLY recommend studying the 70-271 materials at some point (even if it's not for the cert) because there is a lot of material in there that you will need to know when you support XP. The 70-272 is a lot of carry over from 70-271 and the things about outlook support don't really change that much in Windows 7. Knowledge is power, and even if you don't have the cert to show for it, having the knowledge will take you far. Best of luck, my friend!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680