MCDST or....?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by WalterMinty, Jan 17, 2011.

1. WalterMinty

WalterMinty Bit Poster

Hi,

Need some advice; i have just finished my comptia A+ and have decided to go for the MCDST. However i've just learned that the exam retires in June. So....should I
    a) study like mad and take the exam before June
    b) go for another Microsodt Cert (please recommend)
    or c) go for another cert like Cisco etc

I just want to get into the IT idustry, and have no specific role in mind.

Any help or advice would be great

Certifications: CompTia A+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Then going for any Cisco cert is definitely not the right choice for you, you have to understand that none of the Cisco certifications are classed as 'entry level', they all expect a certain level of competency that someone coming into the industry simply doesn't have.

My advice would be to study for the MCDST and have a look at further exams when the time calls for it, you don't want to appear to be over certified for positions aimed at someone coming into IT and having too many certifications can do just that for you, infact having too many can actually harm your chances.

Learn to walk before you run.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Go for A)
    ... then maybe look at the Windows 7 client certs, it would be worth doing Network+ then something like ITIL v3 foundation, this would make your CV much more rounded and be of more interest to employers.

Also I would make looking for an IT role a high priority, as experience really is the key, certs back up experience and help you on the first step of the ladder

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I think before you go any further you should sit down and go through your options as it doesnt even look like you know what you want to do.

What part of the industry do you want to get into and why?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Well, what way u study depends on your experience on Windows XP. If u have enough, u could sit for MCDST and knock it off before June.

Frankly speaking, MCDST serves as a base for entry level IT positions. U could upgrade your qualifications with MCTS and MCITP on Vista/Win7 after u have MCDST in your bag. Furthermore, MCDST is a lifetime certification. Newer versions like MCTS and MCITP retire as soon as the product support ends.

^^ Re-read SimonD's post. That's good advice. :)

Just getting into the IT industry requires nothing (no certs required). Get a job and earn experience.

WELCOME to the Forums!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  6. Wizzkidd

Wizzkidd New Member

Hi,

I've just recently started the MCDST and aim to complete it before June, but I was also told that because I've taken the course as the cert is expiring then I'll get the MCITP study material and exam thrown in for free!, could maybe be worth looking into it?.

WIP: MCDST & A+
  7. WalterMinty

WalterMinty Bit Poster

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I've also been advised on another option:
    As I've already got a degree in Sociology i could take an MSc in something I.T related (it's called a Postgraduate conversion course, where i basically turn my existing degree into a masters in an IT related subject. It would only take a year, but cost 4K! What do you guys think - Would this be a worthwhile route?

Certifications: CompTia A+
    WIP: 70-680
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I dont think so.

What counts in IT is experience so the sooner you are working the better as your career will progress. SO I would say get some entry level certs and get your foot in the door.

Also there are certs for people wanting to get into IT and certs for people who already work in IT. Anything Cisco is for people who already work in IT just like the MCSA and MCSE is. Having higgh level certs without the experience can be detrimental to your aspirations.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?