MCDST or MCITP ?? Advise please

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by SHOWxSTOPPA, May 19, 2011.

1. SHOWxSTOPPA

SHOWxSTOPPA New Member

Hello,
    I would consider myself a newbie in the microsoft certification field. A couple of my friends has just passed their MCDST exams and now i feel so tempted to learn and achieve microsoft certification too and i wish to progress further in this field. Although, everyone i have spoken to advises me not to do MCDST and just go straight for WINDOWS 7 certification as WindowsXP will be outdated soon. I am very confused as all i know at the moment is MCDST is the starting steps to Microsoft certification?
    1) Please advise whether i should do MCDST or Windows 7 Microsoft certification?? (MCITP ??)
    2) If you recommend Windows 7 Microsoft Certification, then please also advise what course to go for i.e. MCITP or something else. I just google'd MCITP and it came with a bunch of courses MCITP system administrator, MCITP Enterprise administrator etc and i have got no clue which 1 would be the starting steps ?? :cry:

Await your response. :)

2. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

The MCDST exams (70-271 and 70-272) are being retired on June 30th 2011, so you have very little time if you want to go down that route

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

XP will not be outdated soon. Businesses will still use xp for years to come. Its only the MCDST cert that is being retired.

I doubt you will get it done by the end of June but you could try if you like.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I wouldn't start on MCITP as a newbie to IT, especially not server/enterprise administrator - go for the MCTS certs, these tend to be individual subjects, and specific to things like windows 7 configuring etc

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. SHOWxSTOPPA

SHOWxSTOPPA New Member

Fab.. Thanks so much for all ur advise & help. I look foward to start my qualification. Any further advise is always welcome and much appreciated.