MCDST or A+?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Angry Dog, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am looking at doing the MCDST (using the books I got with the MCDST course I did in 2005) 70-271 and 70-272 exams, as well as doing A+ and N+.

I lack motivation which is something I am going to have to change. I work very long hours and the last thing I want to do when I get home at 10:30pm is put my head in a book, however, I will have to just do it.

How much are the MCDST Exams?

Would I be better doing my A+ first?

Thanks!

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... it's something that you're just going to have to commit to.

If you need additional motivation, I charge $1 per session (see avatar). 8)

Dunno how much they are on your side of the pond... I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer this question.

I'd recommend the A+ first, followed by Network+, THEN the MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

The exam price varies by country. MCP exams are 215chf in Switzerland. I believe they're still $115 in the US, and £90 in the UK per exam. You should check with www.prometric.com for the exact prices per country to be 100% sure.

I've never done the A+, but I would expect it to be a very useful exam for someone wanting to do an MCDST. If however you're already doing ServiceDesk support and the like, you would also be in a position where your experience should help you with the MCDST. The MCDST is geared more towards the OS, the A+ I believe is geared more towards the hardware.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

£88 in the UK- but you'll likely have at least 15% discount on that (MS Press books for example) :)
    I found the A+ helpful for the N+, both of which were helpful for the MCDST. Do them in any order, but you can't go wrong doing the A+,N+ and MCDST.

5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Thanks for correcting me price wise. And yes, those discounts are very useful as well :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I have done an MCDST course in the past (4 years ago now) and have the course material / books.
    I have done support for 11 years, but not really MS orientated - been supporting DBA's for individual industries, which are self contained.

I have over 12 years experience in working with Computers. I have an understanding of hardware etc. The last PC I built though had a Pentium 233MMX Processor LOL.

Thanks for the replies, though I'm not sure which is best still lol.

7. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

what exactly your job role now and where do you want to be headed that may help some of the more experianced guys suggest the right path for you.

For me the A+ seemed to be the right path as i have to repair PCs on a daily basis rather than remote fix peoples software problems. I personally think the A+ is a better starting qualification as it gives an overview of a wide range of topics especially hardware and i have already had a good insight into using XP for a while now from doing servicedesk jobs.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  8. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I use XP / Vista / 2003 / 2008 on a daily basis, however, these are just the back drop to the actual software I support, so aside from a few reg edits / mapping of network drives, its not that involved in Windows.

I support a Superbase application. Its pretty much mostly self contained and is no use to man nor beast outside of the company I work for - there is not much call for experienced DBA's in Superbase.

I would like to move away from Desktop Support, and I know that attaining an MCDST is the wrong path for that, however, I see it as a way to get into a larger, more IT focused company that will allow me to then move more into an Administration role. I'd be pretty happy continuing with Desktop Support if the money was there, but it isnt.

I was close to getting a job in Op's a year ago, sadly, where I lived went against me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009