MCDST or A+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by king_ran, Sep 8, 2008.

1. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Hi all,

I would appreciate your thoughts on which is the best course for me, MCDST or A+ OS as a foundation.

I am looking to pursue a career starting in desktop support so the obvious course I'm assuming would be MCDST; but I'm just wondering if taking the A+ would be beneficial since I have a good understanding in XP but not the older OS's.

Regards

WIP: A+, MCDST
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi King_ran. Firstly - hello and welcome to the forums! You may wish to create an introductory post in the new members section. Manners and all that eh?

Just because I don't feel like typing out another essay please see this link. It should contain all of the information you require with regards to studying/experience etc etc, else check the relevant forum sections :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Do you have any IT experience in a commercial environment?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both are helpful. However, I would recommend the A+ before the MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Sorry for the late reply but no Wizard, I have no commercial experience; my current role involves providing field support to PDA devices (windows mobile based devices supporting hardware and software) but I want to break into I.T (more money and greater knowledge). I do however have a useless degree in BSc Information Systems :S

Thanks Boston, I've looked around for a while now and am going to study both certifications (probably A+ first).

And Qs - haven't got round to it but will do and introductory thing now :D

6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I know this thread is a little dated, but i wonted to say this , from a post i made today

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Thanks for the info though mate :D

8. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I would agree that both complement each other well, but I'd definately go for the A+ first, its a much better foundation in my opinion. Plus the Mike Meyers guide is a better read than the dryness of the MSPress books!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  9. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

SO true.

The plus side of the MS book is that it's clear, comprehensive and well laid out, much like the Oxford dictionary; unfortunately it's about as enjoyable to read.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

To be honest they take getting used to, i think in on my 6th book now and im fine with it, I guess you have to train your brain to take in that format.

I remember the early days it was a struggle lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Thanks, I'll look into the Mike Meyers book; at the moment I've just started watching the CBT Nuggets A+ 2006 certification package and finding it is going well :D