MCDST / MCSA 70-290 North East UK

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by BarryChuckle, Mar 14, 2007.

1. BarryChuckle

BarryChuckle New Member

Hello -

My first post and I'm already asking for advice! :oops:

I have an ND and HND in Computing - sadly I dropped from my degree due to getting a job which I no longer have. I just thought I'd tell you about where I am at the minute.

I wish to enroll on the full course for MCDST or the 290 module so I can get a base to go on to MCSA. But I currently find myself in a bit of a muddle and don't know which avenue to go down, mainly because I cant seem to find anywhere in my area which is enrolling for these at the moment. Near me there is a 70-291 starting after Easter and the course leader says that its fine for me to start this even though I havent done 70-290 and have NO prior experience with Server 2003.

I have the CBT nuggets CDs and also I'm trying to buy some more literature and/or software to try and bring myself up to speed.

I dont know where I will need to do an online course or wait till something arises near me (Sunderland/Newcastle) - I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction and nudge me on the way??

Thank you in advance, I appreciate it. Hopefully the first post of many. :D

Regards

El Chucklonee

Certifications: ND, HND, BSC Computing.
    WIP: 271
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yaaaay! Another Mackem! :biggrin

Self study is the best way to achieve your goals. If you do want to go for a course then can I suggest the FdSc in IT Networking ran by the University of Sunderland. You can do it part time. I did it and really enjoyed it.

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF.

"Near me there is a 70-291 starting after Easter and the course leader says that its fine for me to start this even though I havent done 70-290 and have NO prior experience with Server 2003."

Hey Barry, this may sound harsh to this course leader, but if you don't have any prior experience with Win2k3, haven't gotten the knowledge behind you from the 70-270 & 70-290, you will definity struggle, but then again it sounds like you already figured that one out. It really does sound as if he's trying to just grab your money.

If you want to go down the professional route, i would suggest that either you wait until they do the A+/MCDST course at your local college/training centre or get yourself the CBT nuggets/learnkey CBT's and/or a couple of books then round it off with some exam sims like transcender. Then do the exams.

Simon does recommend another good course the fdSc, it is classed as an academic course (lets face it all degree are, like NVQ are vocational and A+/MCP's, etc are professional), but it does give you a good basis on which you can build upon.

As to which route to push you in, that unfortunately can only be answered by you. I could say do the route I did: do your degree (fdSc or what I did the BSc) part-time, get a full-time job in IT and in your spare time do a couple of entry level professional certs like the A+, Network+. Once you finish your degree then start on the MCP/MCDST/MCSA & MCSE. But then again you're not me, and this may put you off IT.

In the end it's up to each individual person to do what feels right for them.

Anyway hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

nooooooooooo :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Barry - as you are new to IT certs, it would be wise to make yourself aware of what *braindumps* are, the net is festooned with them and they are not your friend - briefly, braindumps are what cheaters use, they are the actual questions from the vendors exams. Avoid these like the plague, if you are not sure that you training material is legitimate, just ask here for clarification.

Pete

Also if you search this forum for braindumps you will understand what i am saying by reading the various responses.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

What they said

Oh and welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ditto the above. And welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Welcome fellow northener:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums mate, and good luck with what you choose, it'll all be worth it in the end! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Welcome mate!

The others have said everything you need to know...

The most important things to think about before you can decide upon your path are

a) What field of IT you want to go into
    b) How much experience is NO experience - from all accounts, that 291 is one of the hardest exams in the MCSA so be VERY careful that you are not jumping ahead of yourself. Doing the 291 before the 290 in my opinion is pure crazyness and to be blunt, stupidity.

Enjoy the forums - I sure as hell have since I joined!

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes be careful though, CF can be very addictive :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)