MCDST Loosing value?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Davidh1819, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hi everyone

finding stats from http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk the average salary for an MCDST was 25k last year its now
    22k also acording to the graphs the job demand has decresed by 40% Since september 2009 roughly the time windows 7 was released

what are others views on this matter are the MCDSTs days numbered??:(

im am currenly studying for MCDST but im goin to finish what i have started :) maybe my next step will be MCTS Windows 7

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

According to the same website "1st Line support" salaries have dropped 20% in the same period so it looks like the MCDST retains it's value.
    The graph doesn't show a 40% drop in jobs mentioning MCDST since September. What it shows is that 1% of total jobs mentioned MCDST, then 0.6% of total jobs mentioned MCDST. Maybe there was no growth in the MCDST market but significant growth elsewhere. Whatever the reason, I doubt W7 has much to do with it, mainly because not many businesses will have switched to W7 yet.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what a load of rubbish.

That site always says the pay is more than what it really is for jobs so I wouldn't trust it on anything else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Lies, damn lies and statistics ! :p

Remember things may be very different where you live - it's very much an "average"

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Don't read too much into it, just concentrate on your studies and gaining experience. Experience + certs + ambition = success :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

As with others, take the information with a pinch of salt.

Smaller organisations may be making the step to Windows 7, as, for example, they have less dependencies and *knots* to untangle before such a major upheaval as moving OS.

I know some larger corporations that have only just moved to XP from 2K. XP and the MCDST will still be of value for a few years to come IMO :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Last year, I had a roll-out contract for large insurance company, deploying XP images on brand new Dell machines. They were upgrading 2K workstations to XP in all the branches across the UK.

So I would say XP will be around long enough for you to get certified and benefit from it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure