MCDST Insight needed

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Kashim, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Kashim

Kashim New Member

Hi all, just after some advice from anyone in the know of Microsoft Certifications.

I'm after training to become Microsoft Certified, starting off with the MCDST though the number of apporoches to attaining said qualification is er well confusing.
    A number of different websites are offering different deals on supplying all of the required training manuals and software to put you through the paces of what's needed to pass the two exams for the certificate, ranging from £200 to £1600. The latter of which is a fully inclusive College programme with tuition support for a max of two years and includes the charges for the two exams (and I'd also recieve a Microsoft Certified Proffesional certificate upon passing the exams).
    The £200 deal is just for the study materials, the exams you have to arrange and pay for yourself, £88+VAT per exam, and seemingly doesn't include the MCP cert. which appears to be a seperate exam altogether

Now, I'd just like anyone who's gained a certification from Microsoft to explain to me if the MCP is something you get automatically from passing any of Microsoft's cerified exams or is something you have to acquire before/after/as well as the MCDST in order to apply for the MCSE.

Also if you have any recommendations as to who is a good trainer, or offers a good deal on study materials and exam payment, for the exam I'd really really REALLY appreciate it.

BTW I would consider taking the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer at a later date, which I believe requires a MCP and possibly the MCDST to take.

Thanks!

Edit: I have had a look through the forums on this it just doesn't seem to add when one training provider I went to said that I'd recieve the MCP certificate upon passing the MCDST. Another provider offered a training deal with the exams paid for as well as XP Pro 70-270 added in the deal.
    Again, help much appreciated.

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

If you pass the MCDST (or one of the exams, not sure), you automatically get the MCP certification too.

Personally, I think that looks really expensive and would save my money, buy one or a couple of books and do it the self-study way.
    There's plenty of free stuff online as well.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When you pass any Microsoft exam you gain and MCP getting both MCPs (two exams) 70-271 & 70-272 gains you the MCDST.

The MCSE is not for someone who does not have experience as a systems engineer.

I have never used a TP because I can just get the books and study on my own. You book the exams through prometric and you will find your nearest test center on their website. You get discount vouchers with the Microsoft press books.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kashim

Kashim New Member

Right thanks for the info guys.

I've gotten hold of CBT Nuggets and am gonna start going through it though I'm wondering if I'd need the books as I have an IT degree which spedialised in os's and networking in the final two years.
    Reckon I could pass the MCDST with just the CBT Nuggets materials?

5. willolpl

willolpl Bit Poster

Excellent advice,i could not agree more following my experiences.

Certifications: CompTia A+, MCP, MCDST
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Use the MS press books too. There were things in all my certs that I never learned on My HND and there isn't too much difference between a HND and a degree.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Don't rely on just one source of material for the exam as you don't know if say MS have updated the exam content so the CBT nuggets might be out of date or cover certain parts well enough (Happen to me with the 70-291 exam with WSUS). As others have pointed out for the MCDST stick to self study. Buy a the MS books which I used and the CBT nuggets and you should have everything you need to pass the 2 exams to gain your MCDST cert.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Kashim

Kashim New Member

Awesome, thanks guys I'll look at prices for the MS books.

Interestingly enough I tried the Transcender practice exam and I got 51% on the first exam without beginning any studying :D